28| an ill-fated reunion

This chapter is dedicated to Deadly_KittyZ. Thank you for the votes, it means a lot to me. So this chapter is for you.

And it's a long one. Get ready.

────── ༻♛༺ ──────

The pounding of my heart consumed my eardrums as his cold eyes bore into mine. Our swords pressed against each other. My muscles trembled against his inhuman strength

I could feel my willpower begin to falter.

My strength caved in, and I only just managed to avoid the swing of his golden sword as I side-stepped.

Maeglor didn't give me a chance to catch my breath.

Every attack he made was calculated and ruthless, and every strike that I made was effortlessly deflected. Fighting against him was different. It was much more draining. His technique was immaculate and yet, dripping with raw power.

He did not fight like an elf. He fought like a shadow.

Gradually, my adrenaline began fading into weariness. It made my blood boil that even after almost five centuries of training, he still had the upper hand.

He swung his sword in an arc. I let all my weight fall onto my back leg as I leant back, narrowly dodging his swing.

An image of Maladros in flames flashed across my vision.

Pushing off that foot like a spring, I leapt forwards. My muscles burned.

He ducked beneath the blade, but I sent a kick towards him, sending him stumbling back. I raised my sword. Suddenly, another image flashed across my mind.

Two elflings lying on the grass beneath the endless expanse of night sky, gazing at the stars above. Together.

And I froze.

I felt his foot sweep mine out from beneath me, and I fell.

My head cracked against the stone beneath me, sending black spots dancing across my vision. My sword clattered out of my grasp.

I began to pull myself up, only to freeze at the cold touch of metal against my neck. The sharp point of Maeglor's blade pressed against my skin, a small sharp pain prickling from that spot.

My breaths fell from my lips in shallow pants.

He kicked my sword further away out of reach of my fingers, tilting my head up with the point of his sword.

"That was not the welcome I was expecting from an old friend."

Maeglor's lips were curled into a smile, his complexion so painfully familiar.

My elbows propped my shoulders off the ground.

"If you are here to kill me, do not waste my time." I glared at him. "Or better yet, let your beast do it. You lack the courage."

The dark elf pressed his sword harder against my neck. A sharp and biting pain bloomed from the wound, and I stifled a wince as I felt the familiar warmth of blood trickling out.

"I have the honour to fight you myself." He replied unflinchingly. "I do not let others do my job for me."

Rage jolted through my veins.

"Honour?" I spat. "What honour was to be found in murdering children in their beds? What honour was there in taking the lives of countless innocents? No. You have no honour, hû ú-gaun (cowardly dog)."