13

Two whole weeks. Two whole weeks of mourning the loss of someone you thought was still alive. Distancing yourself from people became your new habit and I really thought it was the last I'd see of you. Eddi, Nona, Reece, Justin, Len and even Honey had been blowing up your phone but nothing had been opened. You just sat in Max's pokey little apartment, you put on a front for Cody but once you put him to bed, you broke. It was a routine now, you'd sob, cook dinner, not eat it and then call him a billion times. "I love you" "I need you", for the millionth time Kelsey, you don't need him.

"Enough, e-fucking-nough Kelsey" Honey shouted outside the apartment once it hit the fifteen day mark. They were all there, all of your friends, even Len. "Honey" Eddi warned, she looked distraught, Max was killing you but seeing you like this was killing her. "Why don't we take Cody for a walk ?" she then asked. No answer. Honey kept knocking at the door. Nothing. Nona stood there with Panda Express and I watched you, you sat with your back against the door, shaking with Cody sitting between your legs like he did the time of the party. God, times were so much simpler. "Why don't we go out ? Get a few drinks ? You haven't let your hair down in a while" Nona tried to coax. Again nothing. "I have a key" Len called out eventually, this shocked everyone. "Kelsey, I don't want to have to force my way in" he called, again, you didn't move so he acted, he opened the door, it dug into your back and they forced their way in.

"Uncle Len" Cody shouted excited, he ran up to him and jumped into his arms. It wasn't as if you deprived him, he got all of his basic needs and you did bring him outside just not at peak times. Uncle Len, Jesus, it turned my stomach. "What the fuck was that little number ? You scared us half to death. Have you even been looking after him ?" she began shouting as Nona shook her head, she knew the child didn't need to listen to this so brought him to his room to watch some television and unwind, he wasn't stressed, he didn't even seem affected but him asking for his dad was starting to affect you. "Kelsey" Honey shouted again, you didn't answer so she started shaking you. This did it for Eddi, she shoved her backwards, closed the door and sat next to you. "This is hard for you, I know but you can't live like this" she said softly as you rested your head on her shoulder.

"He said he'd tell me when he settled in. Where is he Len ?" you finally said, it was the first words you spoke in awhile. "Honestly KJ, I don't know" he said defeated before sitting down on the opposite side of you. "Oh you've got to be kidding me" Honey began as Eddi rolled her eyes. "Honey" she warned and the girl knew to stop talking. "I have my moms birthday trip in a few days. Who do I bring ?" you asked honestly as Len sighed and nodded. "I would but I've got uh work. Eddi's seeing Tiff. Nona would I'm sure" he tried to suggest but you brushed it off, you wouldn't even suggest Honey. Then your energy completely shifted, you wiped your tears, stood up and just smiled. "Fine, that's fine. I'll ask somebody else" you said honestly. They all knew by your face, something erratic was about to happen. You brought Cody back out, Nona gave everyone some food and you acted completely normal.

The very next day, you strutted into Mooney's like it was yours and yours to keep forever. You didn't bother browsing, you walked straight up to the counter. "We need to talk" you said seriously and for a split second, my heart sped up. "Oh, uh, sure" I began, I was stumbling over my own words and I was about to leave my post behind the counter to give you all of my undivided attention but you nodded. "I need to go to the office. I'll meet you for coffee in an hour. There's a place Insan-" you began then I saw your heart sting but you shook it off, he didn't control your every move anymore. "Devilles, it's up the street" you told me as I nodded awkwardly. "I'll be there" I answered as you turned on the heels. "Don't be late" you said bluntly while pointing at me and walking out. You weren't hiding away or working here and that frightened me. Why couldn't we talk here ? What on earth could you have found out ? It had to be bad because you wouldn't talk about it there and then. You gave me no hint, this could be about absolutely anything. For the first time in a long time, I was beginning to fear the unknown.