09. Another Step Forward

NIGHTS ARE QUIET in the palace

NIGHTS ARE QUIET in the palace. It's such a contrast to Moonrock, where most of the town bursts to life at the retirement of the sun. Instead of finding comfort in the silence, Jeongguk feels restless.

Two weeks after the duel with the commander and the princess finds Jeongguk staring into the fire cackling from the small fireplace in his room, watching the flames sway left and right like dancers. Two weeks has passed, but it feels like a year. It seems like time really does tick slower if you're aware of it.

Jeongguk rubs his thumb against the silver necklace in his hand, caresses the pendant gently and memorising every part of it. The head of a lion is carved in the middle pendant, it's mane protruding. His remembers his father telling him that it used to belong to his mother before she died at childbirth.

Right. He grew up without a mother all his life. The worst part of it was he never even got to see her face. He can't imagine what it would feel like to have his mother's soft, tender hands caress his cheek and pat his head. He can't even remember her voice so he can't imagine listening to her sing him lullabies to sleep even if he wanted to.

The silver glimmers—glows in his hand as he holds it near the fireplace. It's like he's carrying around a tiny piece of hope, and he hangs it back around his neck.

He doesn't know what time it is, but it's already been awhile since they've had dinner. He guesses it must be around midnight. His muscles and limbs are still aching after the training session they had—but despite that, his body still refuses to shut down and go to sleep.

Jeongguk sighs, scooting back so he's now leaning against the foot of his bed. He turns towards the window, seeing the light of the half moon brighten up the skies.

It's so suffocating in here. It's suffocating and he feels so restless.

He glances at the door and an idea pops into mind. Maybe he can just try to take a walk to clear his mind? He doesn't know if knights like him—especially him—are allowed to wander around at night without seeming suspicious.

He's never dared to go outside after midnight, but there's a first time for everything, right?

He pokes his head out into the hallway. Thankfully, it's empty, because most people would be asleep at this hour and the guards are probably stationed at the main doors.