14. Rising Colours

"WE'VE ALREADY DISTRIBUTED food out from most of the food stores, but I'm afraid that if this famine drags out longer than expected, the entire kingdom will suffer from food shortage," Namjoon informs evenly, staring down at the compiled report he...

"WE'VE ALREADY DISTRIBUTED food out from most of the food stores, but I'm afraid that if this famine drags out longer than expected, the entire kingdom will suffer from food shortage," Namjoon informs evenly, staring down at the compiled report he's been given on all their food stores.

"Any reason as to why this is happening? It's not like our kingdom is experiencing a drought," The king asks, clutching onto the arms of his seat.

Namjoon shakes his head. "According to the report sire, some parts of the kingdom especially the ones in the northern region are overpopulated. The lands are too crowded, therefore there's not enough space for crops to grow. And even if there were food, it wouldn't be enough to feed such a big population."

"Also, based on what commander Kim has reported, some of the people of the village that was destroyed by Mirador crossed the borders in search for food. But apparently King Taeyong has changed his mind about letting our people through."

The king gets up from his seat to head towards the large window beside him. Looking out at the vast view of the Capital's greenery, he says, "There's no way to settle overpopulation. What do you suggest we do, advisor Kim?"

Namjoon raises his head. "It would be better if we transferred some of the villagers from the north to the areas where there are shortage of field workers. At the same time we'll need to expand our farmlands. That way we can ensure that our food supply will always be running."

The king nods in understanding. "Very well, do as planned. In the meantime I will write to the other kingdoms for help and hopefully some of them will have food to spare. How are the preparations for the Annual Gathering going?"

"It's going smoothly, your majesty. The streets are already bursting with colours and the palace has been graced as best as we can," Namjoon answers.

"I expect that King Taeyong will not be attending this year considering the current friction ongoing between us," the king states. So this will be the best time to negotiate with the other kingdoms for military assistance."