26. A Pocket of Fire

WHEN SAERON HAD ASKED what Jeongguk had wanted as a personal gift from her, she doesn't expect for him to ask this

"That's it? I mean... at least ask for something that could be more beneficial to you. It's a personal gift from me, you can ask for anything at all you know. Seriously, treat yourself. You seem to always put everyone else in front of you that you forget what it's like to be a little selfish."

Jeongguk holds back a snicker at the expression on her face—it wasn't exactly distaste, more like a mix of surprise and confusion.

"How old is she again?"

"Ten going to eleven."

Her frown deepens. "And what's so special about her?"

"She's my best friend."

"She's a kid."

"I don't see a problem with that," Jeongguk retorts, studying Saeron's expression carefully and trying to figure out what exactly she's thinking about. And then it hits him. "Wait, do you... not like children?"

A couple hesitant beats pass between them until Saeron mutters softly, "They're just... loud."

Jeongguk gapes at her for a moment, and when he finally takes in her words a series of laughter rumbles from his chest.

Saeron shoots him a questioning glare. "What?"

"I promise you, not all children are like that. Miri is actually really sweet. You'll see. I even consider her my little sister."

Saeron leans back against the pillar, tugging her bottom lip between her teeth.

"Please? Just for a day. I'll go back to Moonrock and spend time with her for just one day. She won't even have the chance to bother you I promise," Jeongguk prompts, putting on his most persuasive front—and by persuasive front, he means widening his eyes and grinning brightly in a way he hopes Saeron would find endearing enough to let pass.

But instead of feeling endeared, Saeron just rolls her eyes and says, "You look dumb."

Jeongguk sucks in a breath through his teeth, straightening himself up again. So much for throwing away his dignity. But it was worth a shot. "Come on, Saeron. This is all I can ask for. I'm leaving for Stormhill in three days after all."