23. Rise of the Lion

JEON JEONGGUK is a man of many weaknesses

Perhaps the most obvious of them all is his impulsiveness. In fact, he used to get told off a lot by his father even when he was a child; like the one time he dove straight into a waterfall after his sandal fell into the water. He hit his head pretty hard against the ground back then, but somehow, miraculously did not fall into a coma (although he did end up with a broken leg).

There was also another time when he had jumped in front of a wild bull that escaped from its cage and was running rampant on the village streets—just because he thought that by doing so the creature could just somehow stop and consider not trampling his tiny eight year old body to death.

Which brings us to his next prominent weakness—his tendency to get into trouble, which on multiple occasions involved him barely escaping from the clutches of death.

At this point the God of Death probably loathed him.

Maybe he was just really lucky.

Stupid, but lucky.

He wonders how his father managed to put up with him sometimes. But then again, he can't help it. Fifteen-year-old Jeongguk would say, "Where's the thrill in life without a little fire?" and today's Jeongguk would slap him in the face for being so goddamned restless.

Old habits die hard.

His relationship with danger? Everlasting at this point.

So he was already ready for everyone else to go batshit after the stunt he pulled in front of King Taeyong.

Even Namjoon, the king's advisor who he barely remembers ever having a proper conversation with, looks more bewildered than Jeongguk has ever seen when he finally hears about his reckless proposal.

"What? I'm not just hearing things, am I? Jeon Jeongguk did what now? You've only been professionally trained for half a year and you want to go up against a man who has been fighting his entire life? And on top of that you're taking responsibility for the entire kingdom?" Namjoon exclaims, his eyes darting around each of their faces in disbelief.