21. Before the Storm

"THERE YOU GO, all patched up! Make sure not to overexert too much force on this leg in order for it to recover faster

"THERE YOU GO, all patched up! Make sure not to overexert too much force on this leg in order for it to recover faster. Next time, don't play ball in muddy fields."

Jeon Sejin carefully guides the little boy up with his crutches, the child's bandaged legs dangling awkwardly. The boy seems to be too afraid to let it touch the ground. Chuckling fondly, Sejin turns to the child's mother who is standing at the doorway.

"He's a hyperactive little bunny, this boy."

"Tell me about it! He's always running around without telling me and it gets so stressful for me," the woman cries, the exasperation prominent in her tone as she reaches for her limping child's hand. "l even considered chaining him to the post once just so he would stop moving!"

Sejin laughs, shaking his head. He crouches down so that he's at eye level with the boy. "Listen to your mother. If you keep this up one day you won't be able to walk again. Would you want that to happen?"

The boy shakes his head, lips jotted out in a small pout. Sejin passes him a small piece of cloth to wipe the tears on his cheek before standing back up.

"Free of charge, as usual. But I don't want to have to treat a broken leg from you again." He pokes at the tip of the boy's nose.

"You really need to start charging your customers, Sejin!" The woman insists. "Tell you what, if you won't accept money then I'll drop by with a bag of newly harvested grains tomorrow morning."

"You don't have to—"

"I insist! To make up for the trouble this brat has caused you."

Sejin smiles, relenting with a nod. There's no convincing her now after all. His customers turn around to leave when the mother stops to asks, "I haven't seen your boy around for quite some time. Is he still in the Capital?"

The physician's ears perk up at that, and he sucks in a deep breath through his nose. "Apparently. He's still out there slaying mythical beasts I hope?" He answers with an airy chuckle, returning back to pounding some herbs in a bowl.