15. A Royal Ball

WHEN YOU ARE A CHILD of a king, people tend to consider you a ruler right away

WHEN YOU ARE A CHILD of a king, people tend to consider you a ruler right away. It's just the way the title is; princes and princesses. In return, they have to lead a life of righteousness up right until their ascension to the throne.

Unfortunately, not all princes and princesses turn out as ripe fruits in the end.

King Taeyong was one of the rotten fruits, black and vile on the inside and out. It's strange, how he ended up in such a way—his father was a decent man who reigned with a foundation built by fairness and justice, receiving love from the people until his death. So of course it came as a shock to everyone when they began receiving reports of attacks breaking out between Mirador and its neighboring kingdoms.

The young king was an awfully rotten fruit. And that very man is now standing in their midst, his chin held up high like he owned the very ground on which he walked upon. Even as a dozen royal guards surround him, blocking his way to the throne of the king that sits in front of the room.

But even with all those sharp, glimmering swords being pointed at him, he looks up at King Han with playful mockery flashing through the grin on his face.

The entire room is silent, everyone standing still, watching, waiting for someone to do something. Until the doors slam open again to reveal the princess, reeling in a mix of uncontrollable anger and disbelief. The commander follows from behind her, muttering words that she pays no heed to.

Instead, she pushes her way through the circle of guards, grabs the hilt of the commander's sword and pulls it out of his belt in an expert draw. The only sound it makes is a quiet but sharp whistle as it cuts through the air and stops an inch away from King Taeyong's neck.

"Make a single move and I won't hesitate to slice your head off right now. Maybe that would be enough to instantly repay all the violence that you've suffered upon our people," she bites out, her voice colored in red.

Despite the clear evidence of a threat, a chuckle escapes from King Taeyong's lips as he turns around to face her vengeful glare. "Didn't you read the rules princess? 'No blood shall be spilt among the members of the four kingdoms throughout the duration of the Annual Spring Gathering.' You'll ruin its sacredness."