25. Breaking Bounds

HE KNOWS ITS a bad idea

He's probably going to get caught and thrown into one of those grimy underground cells if some lucky guard just happened to pass by him.

But at this point Hoseok is too wasted to think of any rational thought other than to slump down on the ground outside the castle walls as white flakes fall from the sky like rain. It's a secluded area; he used one of the palace's secret tunnels to move in and out for the sake of keeping his anonymity.

He trains his eyes on the tiny spark of light flying in the air in front of his eyes, giggling as he reaches a hand to grab it. He misses, and the light flies away and out of his reach.

"Stupid firefly," Hoseok drawls out before slamming his head back against the wall. He brings the ceramic flask to his lips to chug down another concerning amount of alcohol.

He wonders, with a bitter laugh, since when did I become this stupid? Yoongi is gone. He's probably dead. His only friend is probably dead so why did he come back to the castle for the fifth time in two weeks hoping for a miracle.

He turns to the half-filled bottle of alcohol in his hand. Yoongi isn't here to share it with you and this is expensive ale, it can't possibly just go to waste. He takes another big gulp of the liquid, feeling it simmer like fire in his throat.

By the time he's finished up the entire bottle, he feels lightheaded enough to fall asleep on the spot. The alcohol is strong enough to heat his body up in the cold, but before he can close his eyes and surrender to slumber, he hears a rustling in the bushes. Upon instinct, his eyes dart around the area to find the source of the noise.

And suddenly, there it was. The shadow of a figure in front of the castle walls not too far away from him.

"Y-Yoongi?" Hoseok jumps to his feet and immediately regrets it when he starts to feel dizzy. He leans a hand against the wall for leverage and sees the figure swiftly moving into the forest.

It could be him, right? "Min Yoongi!"

The figure freezes, although it still has its back turned towards the drunk spy. Its head seems to be looking over its shoulder for a moment, and all of a sudden, it's speeding off into the darkness. Hoseok drops the bottle to the ground and darts after it, yelling Yoongi's name like a mantra.