11. Criminal's Execution

"YOUR MAJESTY, THIS is an act of insult to both the princess and the kingdom! First they refuse to compromise with us and hold our princess captive and now they send in an assassin to finish the job

"YOUR MAJESTY, THIS is an act of insult to both the princess and the kingdom! First they refuse to compromise with us and hold our princess captive and now they send in an assassin to finish the job."

"That makes no sense. If King Taeyong's main goal was to marry Princess Saeron, why would he even want her dead?

"Maybe he had a change of heart. It's not impossible."

"But still, we have no solid proof that the assassin was sent by Mirador. We cannot just assume that King Taeyong is the man behind this plot!"

"Well, who else would be more suspicious? Who would harbour such a heart towards the princess that he would intend to kill her?"

"Jeon rebels, of course!"

Namjoon heaves a breath as he watches the officials engage in a verbal battle. He always feels tired whenever he listens to arguments like this. They're all barking at once, not giving the other a chance to put their words in. It's chaotic at the very least.

Turning to the king, the advisor notes the troubled expression written in his features. The king has not said anything yet, and it seems like he's still thinking deeply about something.

"Perhaps you have not been informed that the man who saved the princess and caught the assassin last night was a Jeon himself," another official rebukes. "We all know King Taeyong favours his pride and image more than anything else. That should be enough to induce hatred against the princess for refusing his advances."

"Any word from the assassin?" Namjoon finally speaks up, purposely raising his voice higher than the other members of the court.

The officials turn to him, and one of them answers, "He refuses to speak. We think that whoever sent him threatened him to stay quiet beforehand."

"Then we find ourselves in a predicament," the king says. Immediately all voices in the throne room fall to a hush.

"Whether or not this assassin was sent by Mirador, we shall not engage with them in any way whatsoever. Our primary purpose is to prevent conflict and war because that is the last thing our kingdom needs to face right now."