Chapter 18: The Grass Badge!

You were petrified.

The cheering crowd, the blaring of the loudspeakers, it was all too much. You stood in the middle of the open stadium, your vision swirling.

"Miss, are you alright?"

Your eyes shot up, noticing that Milo had spoken to you. He stood a couple of feet away, a concerned look on his face.

"Oh, s-sorry. I'm fine." You diverted your attention from the crowd. "Hello."

"Hello! I'm Milo! Congrats on completing the gym challenge Y/N! Proper job!"

"T-thank you Milo!" You bowed slightly. "Best of luck in our battle!"

"And to you as well! This battle is gonna be a doozy! I'll have to Dynamax my pokémon if I want to win!"

You had forgotten about Dynamaxing. How did that work again?

"Alight!" Milo said. "Let's get this started!"

The crowd cheered even louder than before, chanting to the sound of the music.

Milo started by sending out a flower-like pokémon. Glossifleur, if you remembered correctly. You reached for Suicune's pokéball, sweat trailing down your cheek.

"S-should I start with Suicune?"

Before you could decide, Espurr popped out his pokéball, mustering up his best battle cry.

"Reeee!!!!"

"Wait Espurr no!"

"Glossifleur! Rapid spin!"

Glossifleur spun at a fast pace and shot off, the attack headed straight for Espurr.

"Espurr! Disarming voice!" You exclaimed. When Espurr didn't make any sudden movements, you panicked. "W-watch out!!!"

Espurr took Glossifleur's attack head on, skidding across the hard ground. 

"Espurr! Are you okay!?"

Espurr remained silent as he pulled himself back up, maintaining an emotionless stare.

"Come on Espurr! Disarming voice!" You exclaimed.

No response.

"Glossifleur! Magical leaf!"

The attack hit Espurr once again, causing your pokémon to fall flat on his face.

"N...no..."

The crowd's chanting became louder, as if the whole stadium was against you. You tried to maintain composure.

"I'm switching you out!"

You were centimeters from grabbing Suicune's pokéball before your entire body froze. Your arms and legs became stiff, incapable of movement.

Something was holding you in place.

Espurr pulled himself up yet again, turning his attention to Milo's pokémon.

"Glossifleur! Rapid spin!"

Glossifleur's attack headed straight for Espurr, and you couldn't even shout a command to help him.

This was it.

Before Glossifleur could land the final blow, Milo's pokémon froze in place and was lifted high into the air. Espurr's eyes glowed blue as Glossifleur shot across the battlefield, slamming into the wall behind Milo. The crowd went crazy.

"Woah..." You murmured, noticing that you could now speak. The attack was strong enough to faint Glossifleur.

Espurr slowly turned to you, an emotionless stare in his eyes. You smiled.