11: Promise

I walk for a few minutes quickly away from Jin's cabin. Once I feel like I'm far enough I stop walking to look for leaves, dirt, and a lake. I walk more collecting leaves, I try to listen for any current of water but the only thing I perceive is silence...

Before I give up I find a peaceful lake, I jump in my spot excited. I get closer to the water, the water is so clear I'm able to see my reflection perfectly.

I take off all of my clothes before I get in. I immerse myself in the water completely, I make sure I am completely covered by the water for a couple of seconds before I get my head out of the water to breath. After a couple of minutes of playing in the water, I get out knowing I don't have a lot of time to lose playing here.

I rub all the leaves on my body to make me smell like pine, I leave some inside my clothes so that the smell lasts longer. I put my clothes on quickly and with all the pain in the world, I leave this wonderful place.

Once I'm a couple of meters away I hear voices, without thinking twice I start to climb the nearest tree clumsily.

"Her smell disappears here," A familiar voice says.

"What do you suggest we do Your Majesty?" My heart rate increases when I hear that.

I was right, is Yoongi himself looking for me.

"She camouflaged her scent!" Yoongi says furiously. "How did she fucking learned that?"  

"Well, Your Majesty, she is your mate after all..." an unknown voice says.

"Shut up." Yoongi grabs the bridge of his nose annoyed. "I never thought she was going to be this problematic, we need to go with Jin, maybe he knows something about her." My heart skips a beat when I hear that.

They all leave the area. I lie on the tree with one hand on my heart trying to calm myself, that was close... if it had taken me a little longer to play in the lake they would have captured me.

I sigh escapes my lips, I take out Jin's photo, I look at it a minute or two before I put it away.

I start to climb down the tree slowly so I don't fall, there are few times that I had to climb trees before, so I am not very skillful at this.

"Don't fall," James says in my head.

Once I'm down I start to run as my life depended on it

"It kind of hard you know?"

"Are you going to start being sarcastic now?" James laughs.

"Yes," I answer.

I roll my eyes at the imaginary James, he runs beside me... well we can say I'm not alone?

Once I get tired I speed-walk again.

I do not know how long I have been walking, the only thing I know is that it is already night. I have not stopped walking ever since the incident, I have become paranoid but I have a good reason.

"Yeah that is your excuse for now," James says.

"Shut up."

James' image has not disappeared once in this walk and it is driving me crazy, even though I am crazy... I am making it official.

"I, Joseon HeeYoung, am crazy, It is official," I announce to the trees and imaginary James.

"But we all knew that already."

Maybe if I sleep he'll go away... I look for a pile of leaves that will hide my smell while I sleep. Once I see a little pile I collect more and then I spread the leaves around so it won't be too suspicious.

Once I am done with the task I get into the pile of leaves laying down on the grass. I pass out immediately.

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

I wake up in darkness, I try to listen to my surroundings to see if there is someone close. I sit up slowly, I rub my eyes tired, I am not sure how much time I slept, but I know it wasn't enough.

"Morning sleeping beauty without the beauty part." James sings. I groan when I hear James' voice in my head.

"I thought if I slept you would disappear."

"It won't be that simple" He laughs.

I open my eyes, the sun is out already, it doesn't matter how much I slept anymore, I need to get going. I get up jumping, my stomach growls, I groan annoyed, I wish I didn't have to eat.

I decide to ignore my stomach for the time being. If Hoseok was right I just have to speed walk for half a day more, I don't have money or anything but that will come later.

As I walk I look down my dress, or at least what was my dress since it is shredded at the bottom for all the mess I've been through. I feel sorry for the dress, it was my favorite, my boats are taking everything alright, they still exist so that is a good thing. I don't want to know the mess my hair might be right now.

"You look like a witch," James says in a mocking tone.

"Well thank you."

I give up trying to make James disappear, it will not happen, he has come to stay by my side in this adventure.

"Oh, James!" I say finally realizing something. "We are finally in the adventure we promised we were going to have." I smile but my heart hurts.

I start to remember that sweet promise we made after we came back from learning how to survive in the forest when I was six.

"I'm so proud you guys!" Dad kissed both of us multiple times making us giggle.

He went inside the house while James and I stayed outside to play.

"Hey, HeeYoung..."

"Yes, James?"

James took my little hands in his, he looks right into my eyes before speaking again. "Promise me we will go on an adventure together someday."

"I promise James!" I giggle while locking my pinky with his.

A tear runs down my cheek, how I wish I didn't have to break that promise... I wish James was really here by my side. 

I continue my way sobbing a little bit. Why did things go this way for me?

 Why did things go this way for me?