Chapter 9

I opened my eyes just a little bit, the room was empty. Then, Liam walked in.

"Okay Lucie, I know you can't hear me or see me but I just have to say this to you," Liam paced back and forth.

I instantly closed my eyes and listened to him speak. He came and kneeled next to me, holding my hand.

"You're the most amazing girl I've ever met. You're smart, beautiful, talented and so much more. I love the way you squeeze your eyes together when you laugh. I love how when you sneeze, you sneeze 3 times in a row. Every time. I love how whenever I look into your eyes, I see the most beautiful, blue ocean ever. Oh, and how you pretend you know the words to a song you've never heard. But most of all, I love our conversations, and how you understand me. When we talk, I feel like there is a real connection," he started crying and his voice was shaking, " I feel like I can tell you anything. You're the only girl I want to be with for the rest of my life. This whole car accident was all my fault. I should have told you that my cousin was visiting. You got the wrong idea while driving by and it caught you off guard. I'm going to beat myself up over this forever. I put your life in danger. I love you so much, I really hope you wake up soon so I can tell you these words when you can actually hear them."

I couldn't help but turn my head towards him, open my eyes, and smile. I shed a tear and so did he. He jumped up and hugged me.

"You're awake! HEY EVERYONE, SHE'S AWAKE!!" He said, waving in everyone who was outside of the room.

Louis, Niall, Zayn, Harry, Cher, Alyssa, and my mum came running into the room. I looked up and smiled at them all and they all gave me a hug. Louis sat on the bed and asked me if I had a nice nap.

"Dude, not cool! Get off the bed her legs are probably sore. You're gonna hurt her even more!" Zayn shouted at Louis.

Louis' hands shut up as if he were surrendering and he got off of the bed.

My voice cracked as I spoke, "My legs aren't sore. I actually don't feel any pain in them at all." I smiled and they all looked at me with concern.

"The doctors said you damaged your legs badly." My mom said, uncovering my lower half.

I looked down and saw cuts going up and down my legs with bruises everywhere. I tried to move my legs but I couldn't.

"I can't move my legs!" I said, panicking.

Everyone looked at each other and back at me. My mum ran out of the room to get the doctor to see what was going on. Liam climbed beside me in the hospital bed and started stroking my face. Zayn was eyeing Liam; his eyes filled with jealousy and anger. He noticed I was looking and he just smiled at me and waved hi. I just flicked my eyes over to Liam and he kissed my forehead.

"Can you get up please, my arms are so sore and I have a headache."

"Of course, babe." Liam said, jumping up.

Zayn rolled his eyes and sat over by Niall, who was playing Fifa13 on his iPhone.

The doctor then walked in and began reading some papers that were sitting on the counter. "Mhmm.... mhmmmm.. interesting.." his eyes were coming together like two caterpillars fighting. "Well Miss Starr, the papers here say that there has been damage to the middle of your spine. That has taken away your ability to feel things from the waist down."

My jaw dropped. "Are you saying that I'm-" he cut me off.

"Paralyzed. Yes. But only temporarily. You should be able to walk in a month or two. You just have to attend to physical therapy 3 times a week." He was writing something down on paper and glancing up at me. "We'll put you on medication starting today, then tomorrow we'll get you a wheelchair and you can head on out of here!" He ripped off a sheet of paper prescribing me to a medicine and he handed it to my mum.