Chapter 1: One Step Closer

Out of all the summers I've had, this has by far got to be the worst one. The whole plane ride home, mom tries to talk to me, but I ignore her. The only way to get her to stop was to pretend I was asleep. At home, there is hardly an escape. I stay cooped up in my room most of the time, only leaving when absolutely necessary. For the first few days after coming home, I cried myself to sleep every night. I kept on wondering where I would be if my entire family had been killed. Would I be forced to stay at Hogwarts year round? Would the Weasleys keep Fred's promise and let me live with them? For some reason, would Dumbledore force me to live with the Durlseys. Or, worst possible scenario, would I be homeless? There's no way I would stay in the foster system. I'd avoid that at all costs. Eventually, though, I don't have it in me to cry over the topic anymore.

Since I've grounded myself to my room, I finish my summer homework very quickly. All of it is done a couple weeks into the break. The rest of the time is spent reading, writing letters to my friends, and playing with Nessie. She's the only family member who I'll talk to. At first she thought I was mad at her, but then I convinced her that I'm not because she's the only one who told me the truth and if it weren't for her, I would probably never have known what went on. So, now whenever Bella and Edward are busy, I volunteer for babysitting duty. Fred and I also have our first fight (over letters, of course). He tries to convince me to talk to my mom and now would be the perfect time to do it because he thinks this is a conversation we would want to have in person and not over letters. I think he should understand why I'm not talking to any of my family, but apparently not. After a few letters though, he apologizes.

That's not to say I don't feel guilty about my chosen path. I do feel guilty. On the first day after I came home, mom would stand outside my door for literal hours to try and get me to talk and I could hear the sadness in her voice. I seriously considered talking to her, but I still can't get past what she did (or, more appropriately, what she didn't do). I still haven't gotten an apology for not telling me that they almost died, just tons of apologies about making me feel the way I do. She also isn't the only one who is upset. Grandma is downright depressed about me and dad is sad to, although I think that's just because my mom is so upset. All of these things combined is my motivation for staying in my room. Nessie, however, has different plans.

Nessie doesn't like me to be cooped up in my room. A few weeks after I'm done with homework, I'm laying in my bed reading about Voldemort when I hear a knock on my locked door. "Who is it?" I ask, my voice a little croaky after not using it for a while. "Nessie," I hear her wind chime voice say. I get up off of my bed and open my door for her after making sure she's the only one wanting to come in right now. Sure enough, she's the only one standing behind it, and I let her enter. "What's up Nessie?" I ask. She holds her hand out and I automatically bend down so she can reach my face. It's natural by now. Almost as natural as shaking hands with somebody.

In my head I see a location that I've never been to, but I know where it is. La Push. Nessie is the only member of our family who is allowed to go there and leave as she pleases. I see her there, along with Jacob (who I met) and the rest of the pack. Then, I notice that I'm there to. "Nessie, I'm not allowed to go to La Push," I tell her gently. The vision that she's showing me changes. It's from last night. Nessie is talking to Jacob about me and asking if I can go to La Push with her today. Jacob agrees. That's when I pull away. "I don't know Nessie... The pack might not be happy with me going," I tell her. She gives me the puppy dog eyes she knows I can't resist. "Fine, give me a few minutes," I tell her. She hugs me around my middle and leaves.

I promptly procede to get dressed. I choose a gray sweater dress that fades to black with long sleeves and an off the shoulder neckline. I pair it with gray boots and a silver necklace that Fred gave me for our anniversary. For my hair, I curl it and I keep my makeup light. Nessie is waiting for me when I leave my room. She promptly grabs my hand and drags me by my hand down the stairs. Downstairs, I see my dad and uncle playing chess. Dad meets my eyes for a brief second before I turn away. "Where are you going Chloe?" he asks. I don't respond. "Chloe, we have to talk eventually," he says. Once again, I ignore him. "We're going to La Push," Nessie says. I can tell Nessie is going to stay to give him more details, so I let go of her hand to walk outside on my own. Outside, I see Edward's Volvo. I groan. Why couldn't Jacob come to pick us up?