Chapter 5: Quidditch World Cup

It takes us about twenty minutes for us to reach a gigantic stadium. "Seats a hundred thousand," Mr. Weasley says. "Ministry task force of five hundred have been working on it all year. Muggle Repelling Charms on every inch of it. Every time Muggles have got anywhere near here all year, they've suddenly remembered urgent appointments and had to dash away again... bless them." Our seats are in the top box. The stairs up there have rich purple carpeting. I try to avoid touching too many strangers - because they're sweaty - but it's unavoidable. There's people in every square inch of this place. When we finally reach the top of the staircase, we find ourselves in a small box with twenty purple chairs in two rows. I sit down in between Fred and Harry. I'm listening to Fred as he tells me about the teams when I hear Harry talk.

"Dobby?" he asks. I turn around in the direction he is and I see a tiny creature that I recognize as a house elf. It has enormous brown eyes and a huge nose. "Did sir just call me Dobby?" the elf squeaks. The voice is even higher than I had imagined. "Sorry, I just thought you were someone I knew." "But I knows Dobby too, sir!" The house elf is clearly female and she's hiding her face as best she can. "My name is Winky, sir - and you, sir - you is surely Harry Potter!" "Yeah, I am," says Harry. "But Dobby talks of you all the time, sir!" "How is he? How's freedom suiting him?" Harry asks. Winky shakes her head. "Ah, sir, ah sir, meaning no disrespect, sir, but I is not sure you did Dobby a favor, sir, when you is setting him free.

"Why? What's wrong with him?" Harry asks. "Freedom is going to Dobby's head, sir. Ideas above his station, sir. Can't get another position, sir." "Why not?" says Harry. Winky lowers her voice. "He is wanting paying for his work, sir." "Paying? Well - why shouldn't he be paid?" I roll my eyes. If he read more than just the required reading, he would know why house elves aren't paid. "House-elves is not paid, sir! No, no, no. I says to Dobby, I says, go find yourself a nice family and settle down, Dobby. He is getting up to all sorts of high jinks, sir, what is unbecoming to a house-elf. You goes racketing around like this, Dobby, I says, and next thing I hear you's up in front of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, like some common goblin." Winky says, not surprising me with what she's saying.

"Well, it's about time he had a bit of fun," says Harry. "House-elves is not supposed to have fun, Harry Potter," she says firmly. "House-elves does what they is told. I is not liking heights at all, Harry Potter, but my master sends me to the Top Box and I comes, sir." "Why's he sent you up here, if he knows you don't like heights?" I roll my eyes again. I start to get bored, so I turn away and pay attention to the field. Personally, I'm really looking forward to the team mascot performance. I recall the creatures that are native to both Bulgaria and Ireland. It's quite a list, and it's anyone's guess as to who they bring.

People quickly start to fill up the box, including the Minister of Magic, who's accompanied by the Bulgarian Minister of Magic. Unfortunately, my least favorite family follows soon after him. The Malfoys. He's accompanied by two people who can only be his parents. Draco doesn't look like his mother, which is fortunate because, let's just say, she's not going to be winning any beauty pageants with the way her nose is looking like she has something nasty shoved under it. The Minister introduces the Malfoys to the Bulgarian Minister, and then Mr. Malfoy introduces his son and wife to them. Then, the minister introduces us. Mr. Weasley and Mr. Malfoy have some type of stare off. "Good lord, Arthur. What did you have to sell to get seats in the Top Box? Surely your house wouldn't have fetched this much?" I glare at him. Whatever happened to parents being good role models?

"Lucius has just given a very generous contribution to St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries, Arthur. He's here as my guest." Gee, how nice. Mr. Malfoy's eyes turn to me. I continue to glare at him, taking care not to blink. He doesn't scare me. I won't let him have that power. His lip curls, and I smirk. He can't stand me and there's absolutely zero he can do about it. I, along with my friends turn back to the field just as Bagman comes into the box. "Everyone ready? Minister - ready to go?" "Ready when you are, Ludo," says Fudge. Bagman whips out his wand and points it at his throat. "Sonorus!" then speaks over the audience.