Chapter 6: The Dark Mark

"Don't tell your mother you've been gambling," Mr. Weasley tells Fred and George as we walk down the stairs. I'm still mad, so I walk ahead with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Yes, I get it, Fred was right and I was wrong. That doesn't mean he had to and say "proved you wrong." Especially after he GOGGLED at the Veela girls. My mood is not improved by all the singing going on, and the leprechauns shooting stars over our heads. When we get back to the tents, everyone but me goes into the main tent. I lay on my bed - which is the only bed that isn't a bunk bed - writing a letter to my parents, that I will deliver when I get back to the Burrow.

Dear Mom and Dad,

Ireland won the match 170 to 160, but Bulgaria caught the snitch. It wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be. Both teams brought team mascots from their native countries. The Irish brought Leprechauns and the Bulgarians brought Veela. Veela are one of my least favorite creatures. Everyone claims that they are super beautiful women, but I don't get what they're talking about. They are ugly cheaters! They dance to hypnotize the other team's fans and guys. FRED EVEN FOUND THE VEELA GIRLS PRETTY! He was practically drooling. The things guys do to get their attention! Harry and Ron nearly dived out of the box! I don't see what they see. Alright. Rant over. I've got to go to bed early because we're leaving early tomorrow. Hope your day went better than mine.

Love,

Chloe

It feels like it's minutes later when I feel myself being shaken awake. "What?" I say in a pissy voice without bothering to see who has the gall to wake me up. "Chloe, get up! It's urgent!" I hear Mr. Weasley say. Outside, instead of singing, I can hear screams. "What's going on?" I ask. "No time, just grab a jacket and come on!" he responds. There is such urgency in his voice that I don't press. Instead, I grab the first jacket that's in arm's reach - which happens to be a white bathrobe - and my wand, and race outside.

It's complete chaos. Noises that sound like gunshots are coming from every direction, and there are people running frantically. I let my vampire instincts go into overdrive as I analyze my surroundings. I search frantically for the cause of this mess and what I see makes my heart jump in my throat. Masked witches and wizards with their wands pointed in the air. Death Eaters. Not too far away, I can see a pack of them with their wands pointed in the air, flipping a woman upside down. I recognize the man next to her to be the campsite manager. The woman - who must be his wife - is struggling to pull her underwear back to where it's supposed to go. "I'm gunna be sick..." I mutter. The sight is making me nauseated, so I have to look away. I see the boys out of their tent, and Bill, Charlie, and Percy are fully dressed with wands out. "We're going to help the Ministry! You lot - get into the woods, and stick together. I'll come and fetch you when we've sorted this out!"

"Come on!" I shout, grabbing Fred's hand and sprinting into the forest as fast as I can. I try to get us to the forest quickly without losing anyone, but I'm not quick enough. While pushing my way through crowds, I also have to watch out for Death Eaters, and a few times I have to change direction to avoid a confrontation. The crowd is so packed, I'm separated from Fred and I collide with Harry. Then, I hear someone yell. "What happened?" I ask. "Ron, where are you? Oh this is stupid - Lumos!" With my wand, I shine my light across the path. Eventually, I find Ron on the ground. "Tripped over a tree root," he says angrily as he stands up. "Well, with feet that size, hard not to," a voice says.

Abruptly, I turn around. Standing their lazily against a tree is Draco Malfoy. I don't lower my wand at his face. Instead, I point it in his face, not caring whether or not I blind him. That's his problem. Ron swears loudly. "Language, Weasley. Hadn't you better be hurrying along, now? You wouldn't like them spotted, would you?" Malfoy jerks his head in mine and Hermione's directions. He's so calm, yet there are constant explosions coming from behind us. "What's that supposed to mean?" says Hermione. "Granger, they're after Muggles. D'you want to be showing off your knickers in midair? Because if you do, hang around... they're moving this way, and it would give us all a laugh." I send a few warning sparks in Malfoy's direction. Whether he notices, I don't know.