Chapter 15: Relief

It takes a month of begging my mother before she lets me leave the property. It's not because I want to test my self control, but I am going stir crazy. When I leave the inside of the house, the only places I go are the backyard and deep into the forests to hunt. I wouldn't mind the fact that my family insists on coming with me if they actually wanted to shop with me. I quickly find out that they don't come with me because they want to spend time with me, they come with me because they don't trust me to keep control, and that really irritates me. Charlie has been over several times, even bringing Sue over and I haven't even been tempted! You'd think after all that, they'd trust me. I understand why they want to keep a closer eye on me, but my dad and Uncle Jasper coming along on shopping trips with my mother acting like police officers really brings down the mood. For example, in the beginning of February, we're in Seattle trying on dresses. I'm wearing a gorgeous burgundy chiffon cocktail dress and admiring myself in the mirror, and I can sense a human looking at me. I turn around to see the human's face, and this alone makes my dad and uncle tense. The person staring at me is a man, who's probably in his mid thirties. I can see a wedding ring on his finger, but judging the look on his face, he's forgotten all about her. I would be grossed out that a thirty some year old man is looking at me that way, but I can't blame him. I don't look like I'm fifteen. I barely look eighteen. In my opinion, I look like I'm in my early twenties (I've never really looked my age). I smirk and wave at him, causing him to blush.

Someone clearing their throat distracts me from my fun. I turn around and I see my dad staring at me. "What?" I ask in such a low voice that no human could hear me. "Ignore the humans," Uncle Jasper says. I roll my eyes. "I wasn't going to do anything," I say, making an effort to keep my visible irritation to a minimum. "You have to be careful," he says anyway. I grumble to myself as I walk back into the dressing room and walk out 16 seconds later. "Let's go," I say. They don't complain. Whether they want to go because they're bored or because they don't trust me, I don't know. After paying for clothes, we leave the mall and head back for Forks.

I don't say anything as I walk in the house when we get back. "What's up?" mom asks. She can tell something is wrong. "I'm sick and tired of people not trusting me around here!" I tell her. I thought that was obvious. She starts to say something, but I cut her off. "I've been kept cooped up on our property for a month and I'm going stir crazy! Going out of the house doesn't help either because you guys are always on edge, and I can't even look at a human without you guys worrying that I'm going to kill them. I need a change of scenery but I can't leave the house without having a goon squad come along!" I yell. I've been keeping most of this stuff bottled up because I need to prove to them that I don't have a temper problem, but I don't care about that anymore. I'm going crazy! I can feel a wave of calm wash over me, and I know Uncle Jasper is doing that, but I let him because part of my brain recognizes that I need to calm down.

Mom sighs. "Okay, we might have been a little overprotective, but it's because you're a newborn. How about this. A few owls came by with school work while you were gone. You go upstairs and work on that while we decide what to do. I think you're right. You do need to get out of the house," she says. "Thank you," I say. Then, I make my way up to my room. Sure enough, there are several owls in my room. Most of them have homework attached to their legs, and I relieve them of their papers first so I can get most of the owl smell out of my room. I take the parchment off of the last owl's leg, but I find out that this piece of parchment is not homework, but a letter. A letter from Professor Dumbledore.

Dear Miss Cullen,

I hope this letter finds you well. Your mother and I have been conversing since you left Hogwarts, and it has come to my attention that you are a vampire now. There are a few things that I feel like I should bring to your attention now that you are no longer human. The first thing is, now that you are a vampire and no longer aging, you no longer have the trace on you. I trust that you know what the trace is, but in case you don't, it is what the Ministry of Magic uses to make sure that underage witches and wizards are not performing magic. It broke the second that your heart stopped beating.