Chapter 22: Coping

I keep my word to Dumbledore. I don't tell anyone anything about what I'm going to be doing, especially during the summer. I need to prove that I can handle this. I don't even tell them that I'll still be in England over the summer. The plan is this: my parents are going to pick me up from King's Cross when school gets out, we're going to go back to Forks, I'll wash my clothes, repack, and then a couple days later, Professor Lupin will come by to pick me up. I have been given a rather short list of people that I can discuss these things with, and Harry, Ron, and Hermione are not on that list. That's not what sucks the most though. I hate not being able to tell Fred these things. I'm hoping he'll be able to join the Order to. I'm used to telling him everything. All of my problems, joys, he knows all about. Even though Dumbledore told me to, and I'm not keeping secrets from him voluntarily, I still feel guilty. Thankfully, though, he understands that I am just following orders and he doesn't press.

The month after everything went down, I spend as much energy as I can keeping Harry distracted. I think Ron, Hermione and I are doing a decent job. He seems happiest when it's just the four of us around. These days a lot of the students are staring at him and whispering when he walks down the halls. Later on, though, it's Ron and Hermione that are doing a lot of the work because Dumbledore has given me my first mission (and I use the word 'mission' very loosely). He told me what his assignment is for Hagrid and Madame Maxime is. To try to convince the giants to join our side. Apparently Madame Maxime is still on the fence. What he wants me to do is tell Hagrid how to convince Madame Maxime (since he could use some work when it comes to women). I tell Hagrid not to bring up how she's a half giant and to tell her that her and Hagrid are the only two people who have a decent chance at convincing the giants. I don't know whether he'll listen, but hopefully he does. I also suggest to talk about it over a drink. Before long, it's time to return back to the Muggle world.

On the last day, instead of the Great Hall being decorated with the colors of the house that won the championship, there are black drapes, as a memorial for Cedric. The guest students are all here along with the Hogwarts students, and Madame Maxime is sitting next to Hagrid. Karkaroff is still missing. I'd be surprised if he's not dead by now. I can hear Madame Maxime talking to Hagrid. They're talking about this summer and where they're going to go first. Professor McGonagall and Snape are talking about Voldemort, though nothing that relates to the Order. The four of us sit down and wait for Dumbledore to speak.

"The end of another year," says Professor Dumbledore. He pauses, and his eyes go to the Hufflepuff table. I can hear several Hufflepuffs crying, but Cho Chang is sobbing. "There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight, but first I must acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here, enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand, and raise your glasses, to Cedric Diggory." We all do that, and say "Cedric Diggory" right before we drink. Even I do. I would compare the taste of the water to sewage, but I manage to keep the grimace off my face. I can hear Cho sobbing louder. "Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff house. He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think that you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about. Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort."

I personally don't know if telling the entire Great Hall this was the best idea. My biggest concern is how the younger students will take it. Their parents probably won't be too happy either. I have a feeling that Dumbledore just got himself into a bit of hot water with that one sentence. I also have a feeling that he doesn't care. "The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so - either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are. It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies, and that any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as the result of an accident, or some sort of blunder of his own, is an insult to his memory." While Dumbledore's talking, I look around the hall. I can see not many of the Slytherins are paying attention. Malfoy is talking with his group of friends. They're talking about Voldemort. I just manage to hold back the growl in my throat.