Chapter 3: The Portkey

I arrive about a minute before Mr. Weasley, and he is not happy with Fred, but thankfully, Fred doesn't rat me out. Just as Mr. Weasley gives them the riot act, Mrs. Weasley comes into the room. "You wait until I tell your mother -" "Tell me what?" She looks pissed, until she spots Harry. "Oh hello, Harry, dear," she says, and then she gets mad again. "Tell me what Arthur?" He hesitates. He was bluffing before. Mrs. Weasley repeats herself. "It's nothing, Molly," Mr. Weasley mumbles. "Fred and George just - but I've had words with them -" "What have they done this time? If it's got anything to do with Weasley's Wizard Wheezes -" "Why don't you show Harry where he's sleeping, Ron?" says Hermione. "He knows where he's sleeping. In my room, he slept there last -" "We can all go," I tell him pointedly. "Oh, right," says Ron, understanding. "Yeah, we'll come too," says George, but Mrs. Weasley puts a stop to that real quick.

While we're going up the staircase, we explain to Harry what Weasley's Wizard Wheezes is. Then, we're interrupted by Percy. "Hi, Percy," Harry says. "Oh hello, Harry. I was wondering who was making all this noise. I'm trying to work in here, you know - I've got a report to finish for the office - and it's rather difficult to concentrate when people keep thundering up and down the stairs." "We're not thundering," says Ron irritably. "We're walking. Sorry if we've disturbed the top-secret workings of the Ministry of Magic." Then, Harry says the words I've been dreading. He asks Percy about his job. Percy will go on and on about it with the smallest prompting, as was shown to me last night. It takes a few minutes before Ron makes Percy mad enough to go back in his room.

Every square inch of Ron's room is covered in Chudley Cannons stuff. I can hear the tiny gray owl hooting wildly. "Shut up, Pig," says Ron. We have to squeeze into his room because of the extra beds. "Fred and George are in here with us, because Bill and Charlie are in there room. Percy gets to keep his room all to himself because he's got to work." "Why do you call that owl 'Pig'" I ask. "Because he's being stupid. Its proper name is Pigwidgeon." I cock an eyebrow but don't say anything. "Where's Crookshanks?" Harry asks Hermione. "Out in the garden, I expect. He likes chasing gnomes. He's never seen any before." Harry turns to me. "Where's Maple?" "Since we left by Floo Powder, I let her travel here on her own. She should be here in a day or so," I answer.

"Percy's enjoying work, then?" "Enjoying it? I don't reckon he'd come home if Dad didn't make him. He's obsessed. Just don't get him onto the subject of his boss. According to Mr. Crouch... as I was saying to Mr. Crouch... Mr. Crouch is of the opinion... Mr. Crouch was telling me... They'll be announcing their engagement any day now." "Have you had a good summer, Harry? Did you get our food parcels and everything?" While Harry's family was dieting over the summer, I did my part and sent him cakes, non perishables, things like that. "Yeah, thanks a lot. They saved my life, those cakes." Ron is then about to ask about Sirius, but I silence him with a look. We shouldn't do this in front of Ginny. "I think they've stopped arguing," Hermione says. "Shall we go down and help your mum with dinner?" "Yeah, all right," says Ron. We all leave his room and go to the kitchen.

"We're eating out in the garden," Mrs. Weasley tells us when we enter. "There's just not room for eleven people in here. Could you take the plates outside, girls? Bill and Charlie are setting up the tables," Mrs. Weasley says. I ignore what she tells Ron and Harry to do. Instead, I take some plates and head outside. Instead of setting up the tables, they are making the tables battle each other in the air, causing a lot of crashes and bangs. Ginny starts laughing and Hermione looks like she wants to break it up. After a few minutes, Bill's table knocks the leg off of one of Charlie's. Then, Percy pokes his head out of his room. "Will you keep it down?!" he bellows. "Sorry, Perce. How're the cauldron bottoms coming on?" "Very badly," says Percy.

By seven, everything is set up and we're eating. I try my hardest to ignore Percy's talk about his job because it's so dull. I pay more attention to the conversation about the world cup. "It's got to be Ireland," says Charlie. "They flattened Peru in the semifinals." "Bulgaria has got Viktor Krum, though," says Fred. I recall who they're talking about from my books. "Krum's one decent player, Ireland has got seven. I wish England had got through. That was embarrassing, that was." Personally, I would rather the United States be in the World Cup, but that's just me. "What happened?" asks Harry. "Went down to Transylvania, three hundred and ninety to ten. Shocking performance. And Wales lost to Uganda, and Scotland was slaughtered by Luxembourg."After dinner, Mrs. Weasley gives us strawberry ice cream - that's actually very good. Once I'm finished eating, I go to bed as soon as I can because tomorrow, we have to leave very early.