Chapter 19: Mystery

We stay up late into the night discussing Mr. Crouch. Around 2 in the morning, they finally go to bed. I don't go to bed, however. I want some alone time to go over and sort out everything Harry has just told me. Also, I need to go hunting. I return to the castle when the sun starts to come up, which is also the same time that Harry, Ron, and Hermione are getting out of bed. They all look pale and puffy-eyed, like they could use some more sleep. They tell me that they are going to send an owl to Sirius, but I refuse to go with them. Twenty minutes later, I hear more footsteps coming down. Fred and George.

"New letter to Bagman?" I ask, eyeing the letter in Fred's hand. He nods. Whenever Fred and I sneak out of the castle for a little alone time - which happens more frequently now that I can hear and smell if anyone's coming - the topic of Bagman always comes up. I want them to have the money to start up a joke shop. Fred really wants to do this. A few nights ago, we were sitting by the black lake and soaking our feet while discussing it. "One way or another, I will see to it that you get the joke shop started up. How about this: I will finance everything and decorate, since I have a better eye for that kind of stuff anyway. You and George can handle the products and the sales. I could be a third partner!" I suggest. Fred doesn't look as happy about this idea as I am. "I don't want you to spend that kind of money. Businesses cost a lot," he says. I roll my eyes. "I am aware that businesses cost a lot. My family owns a business. I will not just stand by and let you not follow your dreams. I love you too much to let that happen,"

I remember that feeling perfectly. I had gotten passionate about this topic, and I was saying words just a bit quicker than my filter could process them. I stunned myself into silence, and I could feel him look at me. I was really scared of how he would react. More scared than when I was scared of what he would think of my new vampire self. His reaction reminded me of the first time we admitted our feelings for each other. He put his hand on mine, and I turned to look at him, and I got lost in his eyes. Before I knew it, we were leaning into each other, and kissing. It was a better kiss than any we shared while I was human. I had to constantly remind myself to keep this kiss relatively tame. The taste of him is intensified, and we spelled out our feelings for each other with one kiss and immediately I know he feels the same way I do.

Bagman's lack of response has really irritated me. I agree with Fred in the sense that being polite clearly isn't working. I disagree with him when it comes to how to differently approach this topic. Blackmail definitely isn't the answer. They could get in real trouble and so could their dad, as I've told them plenty of times. Fred lets me see the letter that he's holding. It takes me a thirtieth of a second to read the whole thing. I sigh and hand it back to him. "I think that still sounds like blackmail," I tell him. Fred isn't threatening to go to his Bagman's boss, but to "subtly" mention in a public setting about how Bagman isn't giving them their money. I don't give them my blessing to send the letter, but I don't stop them either. I accompany them to the owlery, but don't go inside with them, for the same reason I didn't go with Ron and Hermione. The smell. Since I've hung out with Harry, Ron, and Hermione a lot for the past few days, I decide to spend the next few days with Fred. It's all about balance between friends and boyfriends. A balance that I'm still trying to figure out.

Hanging out with Fred, George, and Lee definitely doesn't cause as much tension. When I hang out with Harry, Ron, and Hermione, we talk a lot about the third task and ways to make sure Harry makes it through in one piece. I still enjoy being with them, but it's nice to have a break from the stress and tension. With Fred, George, and Lee, they joke about the other champions and talk trash about them and talk about product ideas for Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. I've become an even better prank assistant. While they do what they need to do, I stand a little farther away from them as a lookout. I don't make it noticeable that I'm a lookout, though. I sit and act like I'm reading a book when in reality I'm listening for Filch. The younger students don't question it because they are too afraid to approach me.