Chapter 4: Bagman and Crouch

"Morning, Basil," I hear Mr. Weasley say. He picks up the boot and hands it to a wizard wearing a kilt. "Hello there, Arthur. Not on duty, eh? It's all right for some... We've been here all night... You'd better get out of the way, we've got a big party coming in from the Black Forest at five-fifteen. Hang on, I'll find your campsite... Weasley... Weasley..." "About a quarter of a mile's walk over there, first field you come to. Sit manager's called Mr. Roberts. Diggory... second field... ask for Mr. Payne." We set off on another long walk. After about twenty minutes, we come to a field where we can see hundreds of tents. We see a man standing in the doorway of a cottage. He's clearly a muggle. "Morning!" says Mr. Weasley. "Morning," says the Muggle. "Would you be Mr. Roberts?" "Aye, I would. And who're you?" "Weasley - two tents, booked a couple of days ago?" "Aye. You've got a space up by the wood there. Just the one night?" "That's it," says Mr. Weasley. "You'll be paying now, then?" says Mr. Roberts. "Ah - right - certainly -"

Harry has to help Mr. Weasley with the muggle money. I carefully watch Mr. Roberts. He's trying to listen in on what they're saying. Finally, he sees me staring at him, but he doesn't have the sense to look away. "You foreign?" asks Mr. Roberts when Mr. Weasley returns. "Foreign?" "You're not the first one who's had trouble with money. I had two try and pay me with great gold coins the size of hubcaps ten minutes ago." "Did you really?" says Mr. Weasley nervously. "Never been this crowded. Hundreds of pre-bookings. People usually just turn up..." I start to fidget. "Is that right?" "Aye. People from all over. Loads of foreigners. And not just foreigners. Weirdos, you know? There's a bloke walking 'round in a kilt and a poncho." "Shouldn't he?" says Mr. Weasley anxiously. "It's like some sort of... I dunno... like some sort of rally. They all seem to know each other. Like a big party."

At that moment a wizard appears out of thin air. "Obliviate!" he says sharply, pointing his wand at the muggle. I see the familiar affects of the memory charm appear on the muggle's face. His eyes are out of focus, his brows look less tense, and he no longer looks concerned. "A map of the campsite for you. And your change." "Thanks very much," says Mr. Weasley. The wizard walks with us toward the gate to the campsite. He has deep shadows under his eyes and he looks like he hasn't shaved. "Been having a lot of trouble with him. Needs a Memory Charm ten times a day to keep him happy. And Ludo Bagman's not helping. Trotting around talking about Bludgers and Quaffles at the top of his voice, not a worry about anti-Muggle security. Blimey, I'll be glad when this is over. See you later, Arthur."

Mr. Weasley talks about what I've been thinking. The wizards - especially the ones that work at the ministry - should know better. We walk up the misty field, in between roads of tents. Some of them look like muggle tents, others don't. I can see why Mr. Roberts is suspicious. Most muggle tents don't have multiple floors, live peacocks, and front gardens. Finally, we arrive at a place that has a sign with the word "Weezly" hammered into the ground. "Couldn't have a better spot! The field is just on the other side of the wood there, we're as close as we could be. Right. No magic allowed, strictly speaking, not when we're out in these numbers on Muggle land. We'll be putting these tens up by hand! Shouldn't be too difficult... Muggles do it all the time... Here, Harry, where do you reckon we should start?"

I have no choice but to help Harry and Hermione put up the tent because I'm the only one that knows how to. I've only been camping a couple times because I don't like it - no electricity, no plumbing, no way to do my hair properly, so what's to like? I tell Harry and Hermione where the pegs should go, although I'm the only one that's really strong enough to hammer them into the ground, and Mr. Weasley is more a hindrance than a help. Finally, I put up two tents. I stand back to admire my work. They look a little small... I give Harry and Hermione a look, and they seem to have spotted the same problem. "We'll be a bit cramped," Mr. Weasley calls. That's an understatement. "But I think we'll all squeeze in. come and have a look." I bend down and walk into the tent. My eyes get wide. This looks like a three bedroom house, complete with a bathroom and kitchen. Although, I could do without the smell of cats.