Chapter 13: Lessons

Instead of taking me downstairs - like a normal person - mom drags me to the window. "Why are we going out the window?" I ask, partly so I can hear my voice again. "Faster than using the front door," I can hear dad say behind me. I feel like a child again, being taught the basics of life. Mom goes first. She steps onto the tall, open window and lets herself fall. Dad follows suit, and then it's my turn. It looks easy enough. I step out of the window exactly as they just did and I let myself fall. I hit the ground quickly, and I see my parents looking at me, smiling. "I think you could give your mother a run for her money," dad says. I smile and I can't help but giggle, which sounds like a chorus of angels singing. After me, Jasper, Edward, and grandpa follow. "Why are so many people coming?" I ask, even though I know what they're probably going to say. "You're only an hour old. Being Emmett's daughter, there's also a chance that you're stronger than the average newborn," grandpa says. I look at my arms. I'm by no means as muscular as my dad, but I can see a bit of muscle - not overdone though. In my effort to prove that I can behave myself, I pretend to be okay with the entourage.

Mom takes my hand and we dart toward the river. It's amazing how easy the physical activity is. Running at breakneck speed is as easy breathing. I've been vampire-back riding many times, so I'm familiar with how fast everything rushes past you. It's different, though, when you're the vampire that's running. I idly wonder how fast I can run. I let go of my mom's hand and I let all of my newborn strength propel me forward. To my amazement, I'm able to keep up with Carlisle and Edward, who are the fastest in the family. I already know that we are going past the river, and I've been past this river so many times I already know what to do. As soon as I'm a few paces from the river, I take a giant leap, and I'm across the river in less than a second.

Instead of crashing into the trees in front of me, I decide to use the branches to my advantage. For years I've seen mom and dad swinging on these branches, and I want to know what that's like. I grab onto the nearest branch, spin on it like a gymnast would do, and swing to the next branch, which is a few feet away. I do this until my mom calls me back to earth. I look at her, and drop. The twenty foot drop is as easy as that much smaller drop had been when I left the house. "Someone's being a show off," dad says. I smirk. "You're only saying that because you know that you can't beat me," I say smugly. The power that's running through me is indescribable. I feel like I can uproot the giant tree next to me with just one hand. Dad scowls. Not because he's wary, but because I've just told him I can do stuff that he can't. "Yeah, right," he says. I giggle. "You want to prove me wrong? You're going to have to catch me first," I say. Without another warning, I jet off into the forest.

Grandpa and Edward catch up with me easily, but I don't mind them. It's my dad I'm trying to beat. Amazingly, I can tell exactly where everyone is. Grandpa is 3.5 feet to my left, Edward is 4.5 feet to my right, dad is 3.26 feet behind me, Uncle Jasper is 3 feet behind me, and mom is 6 feet behind me. I can tell all of this based on their scents. I'm able to do so many acrobatic tricks without much effort or thought. I'm able to leap between the trees with extreme agility, I'm able to duck under branches and squeeze between tight trees without causing damage. What's more is I can see each individual leaf on every plant life, from the tallest trees to the smallest flower. The weather is no factor that determines how fast I can run, either. Even though it's December in Washington State, the wind feels room temperature against my skin. Not too hot, not too cold. Just right. My skin is so tough that I don't even notice the texture of the ground until I look down and see minute twigs on the ground and little rocks that humans wouldn't even think are there.

The farther we get into the forest, the more I can hear. Looking between a couple pieces of bark, I can see a line of ants. While running past them I'm able to count 20, but I know there are more. I can hear their tiny heartbeats quicken and the amount of breaths they take increase as we run past. I'm able to notice and catalog so many things at once without my speed slowing even a little bit. I an run as fast and as long as I want and I know I won't get tired. On the contrary, the longer I run, the faster I'm able to go. Now I can see why my dad enjoys physical activities so much. The joy you feel when you let all of your strength and speed out is indescribable.