Chapter 16: The Denalis

Like many other things, I've never seen snowfall properly until now. Snowflakes don't look like cotton balls anymore. I can see the pattern on the snowflakes that's unique to each one. The icicles on the passing houses look like something from a winter wonderland. The deep green color of the pine trees is beautiful against the white of the snow. Everything is so beautiful, I'm distracted by the question I was about to ask when we got to Anchorage. The question is important though, so eventually I'm able to pull away from the scenery to ask my question.

"So, what's Garrett like?" I ask mom, who's in the front seat (I got stuck in the back of my mom's BMW). My parents attempted to tell me about him last summer, but I didn't listen. All I know is he's Kate's boyfriend. "His curiosity is relentless. He knows you're a witch, so don't be surprised if he asks you to demonstrate some spells," mom says. I chuckle and nod. "Oh, and you probably shouldn't mention that your boyfriend is British," dad says. I cock an eyebrow. "Why?" "In his human life, he was a soldier in the revolutionary war and he's a big patriot. You could say he's a bit anglophobic," he responds. I decide not to rant about how the revolutionary war was literally centuries ago. Instead, I contemplate what his reaction might be if I were to tell him.

It's a couple hours later when we reach the Denali s house. It's a two floor house with lots of windows. No matter where you stand, you'll get a beautiful view of mountains that are almost always covered in snow and an endless sea of the most green trees. In my opinion, the house is like a fancy cabin, except made out of wood instead of logs. The basic floor plan of the inside of the house has hardly changed. It's got an open floor plan and the living room has always been big and cozy, and the kitchen is almost as large, which I think is unnecessary since no one needs it.

Before we even get out of the car, I see my extended family walking out of the house to meet us, plus one vampire I've never met. This vampire has to be Garrett. He's really tall. Probably around dad's height. He has long, sandy blonde hair that's tied back, and his eyes are gold. He's lanky, but he's got centuries more experience fighting than I do, so he'd win in a fight. He doesn't look hostile, so my gut tells me it's safe to get out of the car, so I follow my mom. "Chloe!" I hear Carmen say excitedly. I look at her and smile. She sees this as a positive sign, and she rushes up to me and hugs me, and I hug her right back. "You're so beautiful! Exactly like your mother," she comments when she pulls away. I grin. "Thanks, I love it!" I say giddily.

"We're so happy to see you again," Eleazar says, standing beside her. "Allow me to introduce the new member of the family, Garrett," he continues, pointing to the new vampire approaching. We shake hands. "It's nice to meet you, Chloe. I've heard lots about you," Garrett says. I haven't heard a lot about him, so I merely smile. "Come get your bag," I hear dad say. I decide now is the time to demonstrate my magic to Garrett, so I take out my wand and walk to the trunk. There, I put the levitating charm on my bags and let them drift in front of me while I walk to the house. Out of the corner of my eye, I watch Garrett, who's observing me and making no attempt to hide it. I smirk as I go.

I'm quickly reminded of why I love visiting my extended family. It's so much fun when we get together! The first thing we do is catch up on everything that we've missed in each other's lives while we were apart. Today, the talk is mostly centered on me and school. Garrett initiates most of the conversation, grilling me on what I learn there and the types of spells there are. Turns out, I like him. He's really easy to get along with and I think he's a great addition to the family. That is the reason I take dad's advice and avoid telling him what nationality Fred is and where my school is located. As soon as I can get a word in, I start questioning him. History has been a subject that fascinates me, and I want to hear about American history from someone who experienced it firsthand. After the sun goes down, we take a family hunting trip.