Chapter 17

Steve
Tony pulled into the car park, slowly crawling round it looking for a space close to the entrance. Being in the car again, my legs jigging up and down, it reminded me too much of the other day, making my mind spin.

"I can drop you off near the entrance and try and find a space, you could go ahead and see him, I'll meet you in there?"

"Uh actually I'd prefer-" I trailed off, unable to say the rest of my sentence. Tony put his hand on my knee, tapping it lightly, understanding. I smiled, feeling calm again.

After he parked we walked inside, he walked up to the front desk, as the medics took his name at the cliff instead of mine.

Standing slightly back from him I heard him say, "I'm here to see a Mister James Buchanan."

"Name?"

"Tony Stark."

"Okay yep, room 114. Please sanitise your hands at the doors before you go down the corridor."

"Thank you. Have a good day."

"You also."

He turned, grinning at me. "Let's go." I nodded slowly walking next to him, listening to him talk about engineering. We cleaned our hands, and he pushed the door open, heading through. I stopped. I couldn't bring myself to walk through. My hands shook at my sides and my head felt heavy.

Tony spun around, his eyes staring intently at me. "Steve I know that look." I shook my head. "I'm fine." There was a sickly chuckle. "No Steve. I know that look. I make that look." My eyelids felt heavy and the room slowly began spinning. "Tony I said I'm fine, let's go see him."

He didn't move, his eyes trained on my face. "Steve. Breathe." Without control over my mind I took a deep breath, inhaling and slowly exhaling.

The room stopped spinning and the throbbing in my head began fading. I rushed forward towards Tony, pushing us both through the doors, hearing it close behind us. "Why? What?"

He lightly sighed, placing a comforting hand on my arm. "Steve, I think you were having a panic attack."

I stopped short, my breathing slowed completely. "Panic attack?" He nodded, his face so soft looking, comforting. "Okay. Well. Thank you Tony."

"No problem. Let's go get you a Bucky."

Just outside the room I stopped. Tony's hand lightly grabbed my elbow, steering me inside. I was face to face with Bucky. Seeing him lying there, looking so lost and helpless made my breath catch in my throat.

"Steve!" I let out a sigh I didn't even know I was holding in. He remembered me. Tony nudged my arm, indicating I should go talk to him. I walked towards the bed, a light smile of fondness filling my face.

"Steve!"

"Bucky you prick I thought you were dead!" He looked scared. Then lightly smiled, "You know I thought you were smaller."

Tony
The doctor came over to the door as we had walked in, looking over at them chatting happily, I turned to talk to him. "Hi I'm Anthony. One of your doctors talked to me on the phone, yesterday."

"Ah yes, James is written under your name." I bit back a bitter laugh. How ironic.

"Well, we need to do some final checks and then he can be released. There is medication, and he'll need check ups, but he is in good enough condition to be safe at a form of home." I nodded. "He needs care, and don't be rushed with him, he needs time. He'll get his memories back, and worst case he won't remember small parts of the day. Be gentle and don't put pressure on him to remember."