Chapter 22

Steve
I finished putting the dishes away, feeling nerves build up. The dorm was spotless, but the silence was overwhelming. Bucky had left, he had places to be, and when the safety of my door closed I broke down.

Staring out the window I felt my hands go for my phone, unconsciously unlocking it and pulling up my contacts. I clicked on Tony's before I could stop myself, my body frozen when I heard it ring only once.

"Uh hello?"

He sounded exhausted, and his voice sounded croaky, like he'd been crying. "Tony?"

"Hi Steve. What do you want? How's James?"

"Fine. Look I was just wondering if you could come over here and pick up-"

There was a sniff on the over side, and I stopped. "Yeah sure whatever. I'll be round shortly and get out of your hair."

It didn't take long for Tony to appear at the door, red eyed and messy haired. "So what is it you need me to-"

He took a deep breath as if readying himself. "Remove?"

"Not how I would put it but yes Steve."

"Well nothing actually. I wanted to call you here just to talk. I wanted to say you can have your room back, but if you don't want to leave Tyler's dorm then that's okay too, I don't mind what you do."

A sigh of relief crashed through him, and a bag I had no idea he was holding crashed to the floor. I looked at him confused. "Why the bag?"

"Uh, Tyler and I sort of ended. He was cheating and he doesn't know where I've gone I didn't leave a note I just had to get out of there and I didn't know where to go and I got your call and now you're saying I can stay here and thank you. I'm so sorry for everything I've done."

"Done? Wait what? He cheated on you? When was this?"

"Him cheating? Or the break up? Because I'm sure it's been happening a little while and I left last night."

"Where did you sleep?"

"Car."

My eyes widened. "Look Steve I'm not really in the mood for conversation. Please leave me alone for a while." He bit his lip to hold back tears, his fists clenching and unclenching, breathing slow and forceful. I watched him walk silently past me, tears slowly rolling down his cheeks.

Stunned I pushed the door shut, turning on the balls of my feet to watch the hallway which he'd walked down, miserable and lost.

~time skip~
Tony
I'd sat down on my bed a few hours ago, staring frozen at one spot on the wall.

How could I be so stupid? How could I seriously not see this coming? What was wrong with me?

Something had to be wrong with me, right? Before I could lose myself to painful thoughts I heard a click of my door opening. "I know you said to leave you alone but, I brought ice cream." He showed to tub of Ben and Jerry's almost as a peace offering.

I felt a smile pull at my lips.He smiled softly at me and I patted the bed.

I felt the bed dented downwards and I leaned into his shoulder, feeling a comforted, and inhaling his musky scent. Steve's smell. I rubbed the tears out of my eyes, and of my face, Steve lifted my head from his shoulder and held my face.

"Tones look, you miss him like you miss no other, but being blue, is better than being over it." My eyes widened. "Steve that's panic! At the disco! You just referenced it!" He chuckled softly, "I thought you would like some comforting words from Bredon Urie. And I must say, it's starting to grow in me." He looked down, embarrassed.