Chapter 23

Tony - (about a month on from the last chapter)
Rain was hurling down outside my window, covering the entire campus in a blanket of water. I pressed my phone to my ear, hearing it ring. Rhodey and I had planned to catch up, and it was perfect timing due to the rain. The line connected.

"Oh my god Tones, you will not believe how much you've missed!"

"Oh really?"

"Well basically you know that girl who-"

I zoned out, barely listening to what he was saying. He was catching me up because he thought I wanted to know about my old town, but in truth I hated it there, hence why I moved to a different state for uni.

Staring out the window I could hear Steve in the kitchen, moving around making food.

"Wait I just got a text. Tony there's been a car crash! In our town! It doesn't say who was in the crash but the car is fancy. Seems new. Do you think it could be-?"

"No."

"Okay. Well how's life treating you. We haven't spoken in ages, and last time you hung up on me. Impractical way to have a conversation."

"Yeah sorry, had something important to deal with. I'm good."

"Truth or lie?"

"Truth. Well, I'm better."

We chatted for a while longer before Rhodes decided he needed to do other things. " I'll see you soon? Keep safe dude, don't let people get to you. You'll be fine. Remember the summer."

"Bye."

"Yup bye."

Steve came in shortly after, informing me that there's extra pancake batter in the fridge, pancakes on the island and he was going on a run. I smiled at him, and thanked him for breakfast. I wasn't hungry.

I walked into the kitchen, pulling myself onto the counter and swung my legs, slowly eating one of the cold pancakes. I turned on Alexa, and she softly played music, it floating throughout the space.

My phone rang.

I leaned over, humming with the song and answered. It was a unknown number.

"Hello? Is this Anthony Edward Stark?"
I winced at the use of my full name. "Yes that's me. Who is this?"

"This is Mary Duke's hospital, you're listed as the second emergency contact for Maria Stark, so we're supposed to call you to inform you."

"Of what?" My voice wavered.

"Well I'm afraid there's been a car accident. Mrs Stark is alive, however we believe she has internal bleeding, and is still unresponsive."

I froze.

"We'll update you if anything changes."

"Uh excuse me for asking but how long has she been at the hospital?"

"Well the crash happened I believe a few days ago. She has been here since."

"Okay thank you."

The line disconnected, my heart speeding up. My mum was in hospital. I needed to see her. I rung one of my dad's friends, asking about flights and pay and time. He informed me it would be quickest to go by private jet.

Looking down at my schedule for the day, I remembered I needed to go to the lab to finish off an experiment. I took a deep breath, my entire body feeling shaky.