Chapter 18

Steve
I slowly opened my eyes, the sunlight causing me to shut them immediately. I felt Tony's head resting on my thigh, small snores escaping from his lips. A smile slipped over my face, feeling content. I closed my eyes, feeling the calm wash over me. Tony's head moved slightly, and I looked down at him, my fingers immediately going to his hair. His curls were tangled and slightly greasy. "Steve?"

"Hello."

His eyes fully opened. He flung himself upwards, pulling himself into a sitting position, leaning against the arm. My heartbeat sped up in my chest. His light laugh of I'd come so familiar with filled the room with sound. He stretched his legs out, his feet landing in my lap. "Sleep well?"

I moved my head to the side, my neck clicking. "Could have been worse."

"Ah well I slept brilliantly."

"Must be nice." He laughed again. I leant forwards slightly, grabbing my phone off the coffee table. Tony picked up the remote, pulling up friends. The noise filled the silence. My heart beat fast in my chest. Posts of the team's meet up filled my Instagram feed. I sighed. Bucky wouldn't be there for a while. I would be alone.

I heard a door open as Tony climbed up off the sofa. "I'm gonna grab a shower." I smiled up at him. He hesitated in front of me, hovering. I gulped feeling my chest tighten. He turned, grabbing his phone and left the room, his bedroom door clicking closed.

Bucky walked into the room. He looked tired. I looked up at him, smiling slightly. He collapsed onto the sofa right where Tony had been sitting minutes before. "Friends? Really?"

"Hey! It's a good show!"

"You've seen it all before, twice." He shook his head and rolled his eyes at me.

Tony's bedroom door opened, and footsteps padded down the hall to the bathroom. "Only just got up huh."

"Nah he's been awake for a while."

Buck's brow furrowed in confusion. "He only just left his room. I would have known if he was up, surely."

"He slept on the sofa. We shared it." I continued to stare at my phone. "Steve."

"Yeah?" I slowly raised my head. "Why do you trust him?"

"Bucky can you not start this again-"

"Steve I'm just saying. I think he's using you. You can't seriously be so oblivious? You're roommates, and you're popular. He knows that-"

"Bucky! Stop! He saved your life! He doesn't even want to be popular. He wants to be my friend. Now please, for god's sake, just leave him alone!"

The room fell into silence. Tony walked into the room, sliding past us to the coffee machine. Bucky mouthed at me. "Using you." He pointed at Tony. I slapped his hand and shook my head.

Tony stopped and turned around, coffee in hand. "You guys gonna stand there behind me all day or?"

"Sorry yeah. Uh breakfast?"

"Uh class?"

"You don't have an early class."

"No but you do."

"Crap!"

"I can cancel- shit no I have to hand in my project. I'm gonna run down there and hand it in, I'll be back as soon as possible."

Bucky and Tony looked at me. Buck's face filled with slight annoyance. Tony bit his lip, his hand running through his hair. I sighed. He wasn't stupid, of course he wasn't.