Chapter 1

Waiting for Haisley Jordan in the morning is like waiting for my questionably late soulmate to pop into my life.

I've been sitting in my car, in front of her house, for fifteen minutes. Which basically means we'll be a solid fifteen minutes late for school. If we're lucky.

We like cutting it close to the edge most days, but today is just completely off the edge.

Drumming my fingers on the steering wheel, I turn up the radio, Know Your Worth by Khalid filling my car. It's kind of ironic, since I'm currently running on a grand total of twenty hours of sleep per week, which I'd say is pretty insufficient self care.

Oh well?

Just when I turn my eyes out the window, I see my best friend stumble out of her house and onto the front porch. I stifle a laugh as I roll down my window, the slight August breeze hitting me.

Her blonde hair falls over her face as she hops around trying to tie her black and white converse.

"You need some help?" I call out at her.

She flips me off, finally finding her balance. She makes her way over to my car with her Kanken and track bag. Here's the thing about about Haisley, anyone can assume anything they want about her, but in reality she's just basic and tough.

Tougher than the rest, we like to quote.

As I pull out of her driveway, four minutes behind our already late schedule, Haisley steals my coffee, drinking half of what's left in one gulp.

"Hey-"

"Next time bring me one."

I narrow my eyes at the road in front of me, sighing. Two coffee addicts, one disastrous morning, two late passes. Not a good combination.

"Five dollars says Mrs. Kilburg is going to kill us." Haisley bets, turning up the volume. I glance at her, throwing a smirk in her direction.

"Ten dollars says she won't accept our passes and kick us out."

It's happened before. Having first period Government/Economics was not a smart move for the two of us, but that's on the admin.

"She needs to loosen up." She chides, finishing my coffee.

I shrug, stopping at the light. "Luckily there's only one Mrs. Kilburg at Oak Grove."

Oak Grove High School is probably one of the most laid back schools out there, especially around our area. It's all on you; what classes you take, how busy you are. But most teachers are understanding, which we all take for granted but are grateful for.

With AP Lit, AP Calculus AB, AP French, Gov/Econ, Anatomy, and a TA period up my sleeve, I need all the help I can get.

Ten minutes later I pull up into our school's senior parking lot. Senior year comes with its own perks, and one of those happens to be having my own parking space away from the freshman boys.

Getting my car egged during junior year by some stupid freshman was definitely a highlight.

Haisley and I speed walk to the front office, positive the front desk lady isn't going to be too happy with the fact that we're twenty minutes late.

Again.

"Oh, it's you two." She drawls, looking up at us from behind her glasses. I flash her an innocent smile.

"Morning, Barb." I greet, leaning against her desk.

"That's Mrs. Young to you, Charli." She corrects blatantly.