Chapter 19

"So," Dad starts, passing the sweet potatoes. "Halloween is right around the corner."

I wouldn't say two weeks is a close measure of time, but our neighborhood is officially decked out with pumpkins and skeletons.

"I already have my costume." Leo says cheerfully, eating his peas.

"So are you trick or treating with Lea, or with Hales and I?" I smirk subtly.

"Are you actually going with Haisley, or are you going with that guy you're always hanging out with now?" Leo fires back. "Oh wait, do you need me to specify which one I'm talking about?"

My jaw physically drops. I think the fuck not.

Dad chokes on his water as Mom hides her cackle behind a cough. I cross my arms, glaring at my soon to be dead brother. "The guy, singular, is my AP Lit partner, and none of your business."

Occasional friend? Sure. Best buddies? Only in those creepy sci-fi movies.

"Okay, children, settle down." Dad tuts. "Halloween means two things: pumpkin carving contest and college applications."

I wince at the mention of my unfinished packet. Not only have I not settled on my major, my essays have never sounded so...wrong. Which is saying a lot because Zuckerman can testify that my usual writing is absolute shit.

Biting down on my fork too hard, I cringe as Dad looks to me. "Yay?"

"I know you don't want to talk about it, Kiddo, but you've been particularly tight lipped about this important process."

"I uh," I set my utensil down, losing my appetite. "I know and I'm sorry. I just don't know."

My parents share a worried look with furrowed brows. "What do you mean 'you don't know'?"

It means I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with myself.

My college list only consists of places close to home. I've read page after page about all these different schools, but none of them stand out. None except for one in LA, but I wouldn't dare add it to the list, especially with everything that has happened recently.

I can't afford to leave.

"Nothing," I rush out. "You guys don't have to worry about anything. Everything is fine. I just need to clear my headspace."

Even Leo doesn't seem to buy my bullshit.

Mom nods slowly, letting me off the hook.

"But-" Dad's cut off as Mom swiftly kicks him under the table.

"Whenever you're ready to share, we're ready to listen. Your father is just a little eager."

I smile tensely, focusing on my plate.

"So who's coming over for the pumpkin carving contest?" Leo asks, breaking the silence.

Mom raises a brow. "Anyone specific in mind?"

"N-no." He stutters out. "That's not what I meant."

I smirk, taking a sip of water. "You know the rules, Leo. You can invite anyone, but they have to be worthy of the pumpkin carving knife."

Every year, for the past ten years, we have had a pumpkin carving contest a week before Halloween. It's been a healthy tradition.

He rolls his eyes. "Says you. You're barely even qualified."

I gape at him. Someone's salty tonight. "You're a little piece of poop, you know that?"

"Charli." Mom scolds as Dad snickers.