Chapter 5

*A/N: hi...for sure one of my fav chapters! Hope you enjoy :)*

Game days, especially the first home game of the year, at Oak Grove are a big deal. Like eighty percent of the school population decks out in some sort of football and spirit gear. Stressful and amazing all in one package.

And that's saying a lot.

At other schools, football players give their jerseys to an assigned cheerleader for them to wear over their uniforms throughout the school day. But at our school, the football players get to choose who they give their jersey to. It's kind of cool. 

Until fights break out. Haisley thinks they're her annual entertainment program. 

Zayden gave me his jersey sophomore year when we became close, and it has been a tradition ever since. However, it's year three and the boy still doesn't know how to wash the jersey beforehand, leaving it to me. 

I stand in my bathroom, streaking light blue face paint under my eyes. No, I'm not painting my whole face because I'm not Vincent Van Gogh; just a line and a couple of dots here and there. Haisley and I plan to hand print each other with paint on our legs and arms later.

I curl my hair before pulling it into a high ponytail. Deciding on a pair of high waisted shorts and AF1s, I change quickly. Zayden's jersey practically swallows half of me, but in a surprisingly comfortable way.

 I made sure to wash it twice last night.

I ignore the forming shadows under my eyes. My trouble with sleep seems never ending, always landing me wide awake at the worst hours.

Waking up this morning to make a fresh cup of coffee, and to check up on Mom, was enough motivation to wave away the two hours of sleep I got. Leo, on the other hand, was out of the house fast this morning, catching a ride with our neighbors.

Just as I pick up my backpack, Haisley bursts into my room with an Ego waffle in hand. With her hair in pigtails, Ryder's jersey, and beaming smile, she's practically glowing. I laugh as she dances around my room.

"It's game day." She screams in excitement, jumping on my bed. 

I clamp my hands over my ears, trying to save whatever hearing I have left. "We're not even going to the game tonight, Hales."

She pops my cheek. "Don't ruin the spirit, Char. It's game day." 

Slinging my bag onto my shoulder, I shove her out of my bedroom. "I am aware of what day it is."

When we reach the front door, she stops abruptly, causing me to run into her back. Turning around, she faces me with a guilty, yet hopeful, expression. She wants something.

"I was actually wondering..." She trails off, gnawing on her lip.

Concern washes over me instinctively. "What is it?"

"Would it be okay if we cancelled girls night? I know we've been planning it for a long time, but the game...and Ryder?"

I relax. "What happened to hoes before bros?" I tease, trying not to appear disappointed.

She snickers, "I'm pretty sure the saying goes sisters before misters."

"Whatever." I wave her off. "You're a hoe anyways."

"Yeah, like you aren't. But we're classy; we actually cost a pretty penny and we're worth a million." She winks.

I sigh reluctantly. "Yeah, it's okay. We can reschedule for next week?"

She jumps in elation, clapping her hands. I chuckle as her pigtails sway, catching in her lipgloss. She curses as she pulls the hair away from her face.