Chapter 11 *new*

It always comes back to two things: sleep and mornings.

Fighting the urge to fall asleep at the last minute, I don't dare bat an eye as I watch the last scene of Blackfish. I don't know if the word 'dark' is even enough to describe it.

I flinch as I swallow another spoonful for gelato, completely immersed in the film. So much so that I jump at the sound of my phone ringing. I scramble to silence it, forgetting it's dead quiet at three in the morning. I drop the spoon back into the tub, checking the caller ID.

Zayden. Why the hell would he call me this early?

"Hello?" I answer, tentatively.

"Charli?" Zayden slurs from the other end, clearly not sober.

I pinch the bridge of my nose, leaning back against my chair. I resume consuming my gelato.

"Hey Zay, where are you?" I ask, mildly concerned. It wouldn't be the first time Ryder and Zayden fucked around irresponsibly.

"I don't know," He whines. "I think I'm at the park. You know that park we used to hang out at sophomore year. You wore that really pretty red sundress."

I laugh nervously, "Zay, you need to get home, okay? Is Ryder with you?"

"Can I tell you a secret?" He whispers, completely ignoring me.

I sigh, "For sure. Always."

"That red dress made your hazel eyes even more beautiful."

Drunk Zayden is not a clear Zayden. Not exactly sure where his sense of rationality went, but it's clearly nowhere in his fifty yard radius.

"Thank you, Zay. Is Ryder with you?" I press. He huffs, pausing.

"Nope." He pops the 'p'. "No asshole here."

I swallow my amusement. "Do you think you can get home?" He should be able to, but he's obviously...out of it.

"Whoopie doo. Of course I can...I am a big big big boy." He stumbles, followed by a brief 'oomph'. "Ouch." He mumbles.

I run a hand over my face, standing from my chair. "Okay, Zayden Riley, do not move your ass. I will be there in ten minutes to take you home."

I am, most definitely, going to regret this.

He agrees before I hang up. I quietly make my way down the hall, grimacing when the floor creaks. Leo and Dad I don't worry about, they could sleep through Floridian flash storms, but Mom has always been a light sleeper.

I creep out the side door past the living room. When we first moved in, Dad had forgotten to place a security alarm on it, making it the only door we can sneak out of.

I curse when my car beeps loudly, praying the ignition will be quieter. It's not.

I slowly back out of my driveway, turning the music off. I've always hated driving in the dark alone. Chills crawl down my spine as I stare past the shadows on the road.

As promised, ten minutes later I pull up to our childhood park. I pull out my phone's flashlight, finding Zayden hanging upside down from one of the monkey bars. I quickly snap a picture for blackmail.

"Charli." Zayden calls drunkenly upon seeing me. He drops from the bar, landing flat on his ass.

"Hey, bud." I greet, kneeling beside him. I place a hand under his chin, lifting his head up. I examine his face, cursing under my breath when I realize how buzzed he is.

He's going to suffer through more than five different types of headaches tomorrow.

I gnaw on the inside of my cheek as I run a finger over a forming bruise on his forehead. "What happened, Zay?"