3

Chapter 3 - Gala

I look around briefly as I walk through the crowd aimlessly. Well, that's a lie. I'm trying to get to the food table. People barely spare me a glance as I walk past them but there's always a woman or two that will look me up and down in disgust before raising their noses high in the air in a snobby fashion. I'm not wearing the most expensive, straight off the runway clothes but I did think the embellished green dress was a good choice. Perhaps not.

I'm at another gala with my family. I hate these events with a passion but I'm only there because "people know you as our daughter," according to my mother. She has such a way with words, I think to myself before snorting unladylike. It's like one second they don't want anything to do with me and the next they're acknowledging me as a Miller.

It's always about raising money which is great...if these people would donate for the sake of helping others in need instead of pretending to be charitable for the media. I will admit though that there's some people who aren't as fake as my family but the bad outweighs the good in this situation and it's sad to watch.

When I first tried to get myself out of going to these events my parents came storming into my apartment and dragged me to the venue while throwing multiple threats my way. I thought they wouldn't do it again but I was so wrong, so naive. They seemed to always know wherever I was on the day of the event and had bodyguards follow me. If I tried to escape I would get caught. If I refused to leave my apartment they'd break in and leave me with the cost of damages that I cannot afford.

The Millers are one hundred percent stark raving mad and I don't have the slightest clue on how I didn't end up like them.

"Zoe!" I hear my sister call just as I reach the heavenly display of food. I cry mentally as she grabs my elbow and drags me through the crowd. "Dad is looking for you. Don't mess things up like you always do."

I frown and the back of my eyes sting as I rub my skin from where she dug her nails into it quite harshly. She's always roughed me up and I wish I could just set her straight. If only I could duct tape her loud mouth but even then I'm sure she'll find some way to go crying to our parents and get me in even more trouble than I already am.

"Ah, Zoe." My father greets bitterly as he pulls me to his side a little too harshly. I look up and my eyes widen in surprise when I see Hunter with a group of people beside him. "This is my youngest daughter, Zoe Miller. Zoe, these are the Jacksons."

I spot the Carson family and send them all a smile. We've been neighbors for years and they know I exist. They're most likely the reason why I'm being introduced because if nobody mentioned me in front of the Jacksons my parents would never let a single word slip from their lips about a second child.

"It's nice to meet you all." I greet them quietly before rolling my eyes at Hunter's shocked gaze. So, the fool finally realizes, I think to myself in amusement. It brings me back to when he assumed I was a mistress and I feel a tinge of annoyance rise within me.

"We were just talking about how Hunter is an impressive lawyer. Don't you think so, Zoe?" My sister smiles sweetly but underneath that mask she's telling me to kiss up to the family. Obviously, they are very important people then.

I shrug and stare back at Hunter in defiance who only arches a brow. "He's impressive at being an egotistical moron."

Why on God's green earth did I say that?! I groan mentally when I realize that I let my annoyance get the best of me. He helped me from Grant and I'm acting like a bitch! Ugh, I think one of my screws are loose.