14

Chapter Fourteen - Home Bound

One week later: Friday 20th December.

Hunter and I have flown out to Dallas, Texas to spend Christmas and New Years with his family. All of his family members are there and are under the impression that we will be arriving a day before Christmas Eve but he wanted to surprise everyone by showing up earlier. We're now in a car he had hired with a lovely driver called Joe who's chatty as ever.

His jokes and stories have managed to distract me for a while but now that we're twenty minutes away from the ranch I'm getting antsy. Butterflies flutter crazily in my tummy and not the good kind. I'm trying not to let it show how nervous I am but I think I've failed at that since Hunter has been consoling me the entire flight and drive through his sweet little actions.

Meeting the family is a big step in our relationship and I really want to impress them as someone who's worthy of their son and brother. Sighing, I lean against Hunter's side and rest my head on his shoulder. I'm overthinking it too much. He presses a soft kiss to the top of my head which puts a smile on my face.

I focus on his comforting voice as we drive through the city, listening to him talk about his childhood and teen years spent in Dallas. It's nice to see where he grew up and all the memories he has of the place. He has the biggest smile on his face as he gazes out the window before turning back to me with excitement as he points out something else.

Eventually we pull up to the ranch and enter through the gates. My eyes widen at the place Hunter calls home.

A spacious lawn stretches out around the house and is fenced in with the same wood that was used to build the house. There's a large patio and I can see another cabin at the back with a stable and barn nearby. Glancing to the side I see a pen with horses of different color and size trotting about. All in all, this looks like a dream for someone who loves being in the country.

"We'll be fine." Hunter's voice brings me out of my thoughts.

"O-Okay." I nod but I'm sure my expression doesn't mirror it.

"They'll love you, quit worrying." He chuckles as Joe parks the car before getting out.

I nod before smoothing the skirt of my green dress. "Do I look okay? I don't want to seem like –"

I'm interrupted by him gripping my chin and pressing his lips to mine, shutting me up effectively. His lips are soft and gentle against mine, as if savoring the moment. It feels like heaven as always and when he pulls away it leaves me craving for more.

"You look beautiful. Now, can you please stop panicking?" He smirks devilishly and I huff in annoyance.

"I want to make a good first impression!" I mutter weakly in defense.

"Come on." He pecks me again with an amused grin before helping me out of the car.

We thank Joe who tips his hat before driving off the property. I turn to see a familiar couple standing at the entrance of the house, seemingly in their forties. The woman is smiling brightly and her blonde hair is flowing in the gentle yet chilly breeze. She's wearing a baby blue jumper with a white skirt that compliments her stunning, blue-green eyes.

A man, who I assume is Hunter's father, stands by her with an arm wrapped around her waist. He has brown hair with emerald green eyes, a strong and muscular build yet his cheeky smile hints at a laid-back nature. He's dressed in blue denim jeans with a plaid button up and the cowboy hat perched atop his head brings a smile to my lips as we make our way over to them.