22

Chapter Twenty Two - Snake Pit

I smooth down the material of my jumper as I take one last look in the mirror. I'm going to meet my family today so that I can put an end to their harassment. They've been calling and texting nonstop, even going as far as showing up to my workplace and college. I'm thankful that they don't know mine and Hunter's address because they even showed up to my old house.

I walk out of the room to see Hunter frowning deeply at his phone screen. He looks up at the sound of my footsteps and for a moment his eyes widen in surprise before he shoves his phone back in his pocket. I catch the flicker of sadness in them before it's gone and it makes me worry.

"What's wrong?" I ask as I wrap my arms around his waist.

"Nothing." He shakes his head with a smile but I don't buy it. "Where are you off to? I thought we were going to spend the weekend together."

"We are but I need to take care of something first. Then I'm all yours." I grin as I peck his jawline. "I'm just going to my parent's house."

"Oh..." He nods with a harsh gulp. "I can get Zeke to drive you?"

"That's okay, I'll be fine." I smile as push my bag higher onto my shoulder. "I'll be back in an hour or so. Do you want to order takeout or cook?"

"Takeout's fine." He replies a bit hoarsely before coughing and I frown in confusion when he seems off.

"Hunt...do you feel unwell? I can stay home –"

"No, I'm fine." He grins but it doesn't reach his eyes. "I'll have the food ordered for when you get back. Mexican okay?"

"Sure, we still have to finish the rest of The Hunger Games so you better have that ready to go too." I tease as I make my way to the door.

"I'll try my best to get through it this time." He chuckles as we remember how he fell asleep last time.

"Alright, I'll see you in a bit." I kiss him goodbye before making my way down the hallway.

But just as I make it to the elevator I'm spun around and Hunter's lips come crashing down on mine. I whimper in surprise before melting against him. He holds me tight, as if he never wants to let go which makes me smile. The kiss is passionate and hungry, making my toes curl in pleasure. Eventually he pulls away and smiles although his eyes tell a different story.

"I love you, Red."

"I love you too, Hunt." I caress his cheek before pecking him again. "Are you sure you're –"

"I'm just acting needy." He laughs softly before pressing the button for the elevator.

"Okay..." I chuckle before stepping inside when the doors open. "I'll text you when I'm leaving okay? I'll get Zeke to pick me up."

"Bye, Red."

"Bye, love you!" I shout just as the doors close.

Sighing heavily, I make it downstairs to the reception area before calling a cab. I tell the driver the address and stare out the window at the passing scenery throughout the entire journey. I'm a pile of nerves but I need to get this over with today once and for all. Then when I get back I'll tell Hunter everything that's been going on. I didn't want to worry him, he's done so much for me as it is. I need to handle this on my own.

Eventually, I arrive in the gated community and pay the driver. Walking up to the familiar house that I haven't seen in years I tell the guard my name and after checking he lets me in. Making my way up the driveway I take everything in as memories of my childhood come rushing back. But instead of bringing me joy all they bring is pain.