13

Chapter Thirteen - Questions

Christmas is fast approaching and I've been living at Hunter's place for two weeks now. I have no idea what to get Hunter because I don't have that much cash saved up yet. After settling things with my landlord and giving back the key I had told AJ, Blade and Lia about what happened and that I'll be picking between the job at the club or the one at the cafe.

AJ had then talked to me about how he's starting another lounge bar and restaurant in The Bronx and needs someone to promote both businesses online. He also said that he needs someone to do the photography and is willing to let me work flexibly. I had chosen to continue working for AJ in the new position and the salary is much better than what I was getting from working as a waitress and bartender.

Other than that, me and Hunter have gone on more date nights whenever we've been free. I finally forced him to let me pay rent now that I have a steady income but he had decided the amount. I know he pays much more but I'm content that he's letting me contribute whatever I can instead of letting me live for free.

I will admit that it's fun living with him and he seems to love being housemates. He used to eat so much takeout but now that's changed since I cook most of our meals. He's trying to learn also which is hilarious yet sweet to watch. I love listening to him learn how to play the piano too and he's become quite good at it over the past two weeks.

Smiling to myself, I leave the library when it strikes six o'clock. Zeke is waiting for me outside like usual and I thank him as I get into the car. We talk about our days and I ask if Hunter is home to which he responds with a nod. Hunter had texted me while I was on campus saying that he has a surprise for me tonight. It had certainly made me work faster that's for sure.

Unfortunately, there's a jam and the entire fifteen minutes that we're stuck in a traffic jam is spent with my leg bouncing in anticipation. I glance out the window and sigh in relief when we finally start moving. Zeke chuckles at my impatient behavior and I grin as our eyes meet in the rear-view mirror.

"Maybe he shouldn't have told you in advance." He teases and I nod in agreement.

"I can't wait!" I smile excitedly as we arrive at the complex and he parks in the garage. "Thank you, Zeke."

"No problem, Zoe. Enjoy your evening." He grins before I get out of the car.

I walk into the reception area and take the lift to the apartment. Making my way down the hallway, I open the door before stepping inside. But the sight in front of makes me stop in confusion. Red flower petals are scattered across the floor and they seem to be directing me somewhere. Smiling in excitement, I put my books and bag onto the couch before following the petals.

Walking through the hallways, I find myself out on the large balcony area. The picnic style table is set up with candles and a vase of red roses. I see two glasses of wine along with plates that have been covered. The set up coupled with the setting sun sure makes everything seem even more romantic.

I almost jump out of my skin when two arms wrap around my waist before hearing a deep and husky chuckle by my ear. Turning, I smile up at Hunter who leans down to press a lingering kiss to my cheek before not being able to resist and connecting our lips.

"What's all this?" I laugh as he pulls me to the table.

"All you've done since you moved in is focus on your college work!" He teases as I take a seat.

"I need to get my degree, Hunt." I laugh as he slides in close to me, wrapping his arm around my waist loosely.

"Well, I miss you." He murmurs lowly and succeeding in igniting a flame within me. "I thought we could start off our weekend with a date night?"