7

Chapter Seven - Sweetheart

We're now two weeks into autumn and the weather has taken a drastic turn from the sunny spells we were having. Today is the day of my date with Hunter and I've been feeling nervous yet excited all morning. When the clock finally strikes four I power off my laptop before hopping off my bed to get ready.

I had showered early and dried my hair so thankfully I don't have to worry about it now. Hunter had also texted me hours ago to dress casually and knowing that it's going to be quite chilly outside I decide to go with my black ripped jeans and a graphic t-shirt. Pairing it with heeled boots I also take out my black denim jacket that's lined on the inside with faux fur.

I put my hair up into a ponytail before slightly curling some pieces. Next, I apply some natural makeup and lightly bronze my otherwise very pale skin before finishing with a nude lip. Glancing at the time, I hurriedly grab some jewelry and put it on before haphazardly throwing my essentials into a shoulder bag. With one last look in the mirror and a spritz of perfume I leave my apartment and lock the door.

I end up taking the bus and subway to Brooklyn Heights, as far away from my apartment as possible. Texting Hunter that I'm running errands in town my phone soon buzzes with a notification. He replies saying that he'll pick me up in ten minutes which makes relief course through me.

I'm being ridiculous but I can't help it. Even thinking about my ratty old apartment compared to his luxurious penthouse apartment makes me feel incredibly insecure. Hunter thinks I live in Brooklyn Heights but I live in a neighborhood close to the college I'm attending. It isn't a great place and it's not exactly the safest during the night. The only reason I'm staying there is because my apartment's rent is low and it's only a few minutes' walk to college.

True to his word Hunter pulls up to the location I had texted him within ten minutes. I get into his sleek, black Mercedes and we drive over the Brooklyn Bridge and into Manhattan. I see that he's wearing a suede brown jacket over a white shirt with black jeans and boots. He leans over to peck my cheek before resting his hand on my thigh that instantly makes the butterflies in my tummy flutter even crazier than they have today.

"So, where are we going?" I ask nervously and hear him chuckle in response.

"Don't be nervous, kitten. We're just going for dinner." He smiles while his thumb rubs in circular motions on my leg. "But I do have a surprise for you afterwards."

That captures my attention and I perk up in interest. "Oh! What is –"

"Not telling you." He grins cheekily and I huff before nodding.

We talk about random topics before we arrive at a restaurant in Soho. Hunter grabs my hand gently to pull me out of the car. Thanking him, I bite my lip when he doesn't let go and intertwines it with his instead. We're instantly seated and I glance around to see that me and Hunter are completely under dressed for how luxurious this restaurant is. As I turn back to him I see that he's smiling innocently at me while a waiter is setting down our menus.

"You wouldn't want to be in a fancy dress and heels for where we're heading to next, darlin. Trust me." He grins before nodding at the menus.

I sigh before opening the menu and wondering what I should get. Hunter orders a water for himself, since he's driving, and I just ask for a soft drink. Then, he orders a steak while I go for the seafood linguine but not before internally grimacing over the prices. The waiter takes our menus before coming back with our drinks. Hunter then takes off his jacket before resting his arms on the table.