23

Chapter Twenty Three - Numb

Two weeks later.

I can only assume that Hunter has changed his number as I stare at my phone. I've been trying to contact him like a madwoman on every platform available to me. My calls won't go through anymore, my texts have gone unanswered, he's deactivated all his social media accounts...not that he had many to begin with. It's like he's disappeared off the face of the earth and it hurts.

Not even his family have heard from him and we're all worried sick. I know he can take care of himself but I also know that his heart is hurting. I just want to find him and ease the pain, to make everything go back to the way it was. The guilt I feel for not telling him sooner is immense and breaking me down day by day. But I also know that we're both equally at fault for not communicating better, for not trusting each other with our fears and doubts.

Sighing, I put my phone back in my pocket before taking another picture of the one of the private lounges. But moments later I feel a hand squeeze my shoulder. AJ smiles at me gently as he drapes his arm across my neck. I told him, Blade and Lia about what happened and they've been there for me throughout these tough two weeks. Cory and Jordan have been around too constantly which I really appreciate.

"You okay?"

"I told you I'm fine." I chuckle with a playful roll of my eyes.

"Well, tell your eyes to reflect that too." He jokes and my smile falters. "Has his family heard from him?"

"No." I shake my head before taking a picture of the bar. "Nobody knows where he is."

"I'm sorry Zoe. I wish I could help." He sighs before enveloping me in a hug.

"It's okay, he'll be back whenever he's ready." I smile weakly as I pat his arm.

"Are you still coming for dinner tonight? Blade has been begging me for a lift." He huffs playfully which makes me laugh.

"Yes, and can I have a lift too please?"

"What happened to your driver?!" He exclaims with wide eyes.

"I gave him the day off." I grin cheekily before he shoves me in response.

"You guys are going to be the death of me someday. God knows why Lia decided she wants to learn how to cook and have us be her lab rats!" He complains as he starts on fixing another chair.

"Do you know what she's going to be making?"

"No but if it's not Mexican I'm out!" He shrugs halfheartedly with a smirk.

I shake my head in amusement before resuming my work. Right now, we're in AJ's new lounge bar. I'm taking pictures to go up on the website and all the social media platforms. It already looks amazing and I just know that it's going to become a popular place for people to go on a night out.

We finish up quickly before locking the place up. I get into the car with AJ and we drive back into Brooklyn to pick up Blake before heading over to Lia's place. She has just relocated to a better neighborhood and apartment in the area and is throwing a housewarming party with just the four of us.

"Do you think they're dating?" He suddenly asks as he pulls out onto the main road.

"Blade and Lia?" I ask and watch as he nods. "Not yet but they're certainly interested in each other."

"How can you tell?"

"Because Lia told me." I grin cheekily and he chuckles in response.

"Blade almost hit a guy at the bar last night because he wouldn't stop flirting with Lia." He reveals which makes my eyes widen.