I - Crimson particles

A/N: First week of being locked away... It really doesn't help my depression. X_x
Writing helps... or rather... editing... Most of those chapters are written long before I publish them. xD
Anyway... I hope you are all well and healthy, physically and mentally. Take care of yourselves and those around you. x3

Roka told the Master about what had happened

Roka told the Master about what had happened. There was no reason to hide it from him and also no harm in him knowing of it. It also didn't seem to surprise him, although he mocked her for not having found out more about River while at it. Roka only grumbled something inaudible to herself. She wasn't good with these things. Around people she mostly fell back to reacting rather than acting first. Being invisible to everyone certainly did not teach one good social skills.

While she had been away with River the Master had listened to tales of this place. He briefly told about a few, his eyes sometimes twinkling when there was a hint of interesting tech or creatures to be found in one of them. Roka got a feeling they would spend quite some time digging for treasure here. The Master used every available opportunity to fix the broken parts of his TARDIS. Especially now that she was misbehaving so much.

They wandered around for a bit, peeked inside empty houses and tried to open pathways that lead deeper into the ruins. Most doors or holes were blocked, though, and the ones they could open only rewarded them with dead ends.

"We should take a look at that crystal," Roka pondered and fumbled around with her Vortex Manipulator. "Looks like it crashed down from the sky. I wonder what it is."

"A weapon maybe?" the Master guessed hopefully. "There's got to be some reason most people here died out."

"Mhm, possible. Could also be alien. A meteor... probably even a life form. Those roots around it make me curious."

"Looks like a great source of energy, that's for sure." He rubbed his chin and glared downwards. "Could use that."

Roka hummed in agreement and proceeded to stare down. Weird how this thing made her feel, tugging at her insides, gnawing at the edges of her consciousness as if it were alive and calling out to her.

"You... feel anything from the crystal?" she asked the Master.

He slightly shook his head.

Roka rubbed her temples, trying to place the feeling, but it kept slipping away. She moaned quietly in annoyance.

"Headache?" the Master asked absently.

"No... I don't know what it is." She squinched her eyes shut and took some deep breaths. "Something's weird about this place. It... feels wrong." She pensively glared up to where the broken buildings vanished into the darkness, layer upon layers of concrete buildings, remnants of a place long lost.

"Or your head hasn't recovered fully, yet. Let's get somewhere inside and I'll take a look at it?"

Roka blinked up at him, searching for any mischief in his eyes, for a hint of what caused him to behave so evasively before they came here. But there was nothing. Only slight concern and the usual restlessness, hidden behind a mask of composure and calmness.