II - Ghost signals

A/N: You can skip the third part of the chapter if you want. No plot to be found there ;D

"You've go-tzzzt- to be kidding me, Master!" River exclaimed over the connection

"You've go-tzzzt- to be kidding me, Master!" River exclaimed over the connection. "That thing isn't e-eezzz-en working properly! Who tells me it won't ju-ktztz- blow up in my face?"

"I am telling it," the Master drawled and thudded his head back against the sofa rest. He had his small communication device on the TV table in front of him and was sitting cross legged, but not relaxed at all. "You'd be pretty useless right now, would you die."

"Oh, are you worried ab-zzzz-t my wellbeing, deary?" River quipped back sweetly. "I knew you secretly like me. Just don't tell Roka."

The Master tossed a short glance in her direction, only to find the woman in question giggling to herself at his misery. He groaned exasperated. "Cut it off, human! Just press the sodding button!"

All that was audible was a light chuckle, then a wheezing, a rumbling. Something zapped so loud as if an electric spark had went through the whole console room.

"Master?"

"What? If you don't tell me you landed, I don't want to hear it."

"I landed."

He shot up from the sofa, tossing a half emptied coffee mug to the ground. "What?! Where?!"

Roka scowled at the mug, but was also eager to hear if it had really worked.

"Deary? You won't li-zzk- that." The usually so teasing tone the blond one reserved for the Time Lord was now serious. "It's not earth."

"You sure?" Roka asked before the Master could start shouting again.

The other woman confirmed and told them a repeat of all steps she had executed, as well as the coordinates on the screen. Nothing was wrong according to the Master. He growled deeply in his throat, looking as if he wanted nothing more but to smash something. Again.

"Why doesn't the TARDIS land?" he whined, ruffling through his already tousled hair.

"Not be-zzzt-ause I screwed up."

"No, you're doing fine," he grumbled into his beard.

"Was th-aaaaztzzz- just a complim-zzt-ent?" Even through the static the amusement was clearly audible.

The Master groaned and buried his face in his hands.

"It's alright. I won't te-eeee-ll anyone." She chuckled, but it sounded somewhat tired.

"Since when are you in there, anyway?" Roka asked. "We're here since some weeks now."

"Oh? Okay, then w-heeee- have a goo-zzzzt-d difference. Been... maybe half a day for me." A small pause, some more static. A short laugh. "Does earth still stand?"