I - Forgotten past

A/N: Funny how I wrote the first draft for this somewhere around new year... But now that I post it, it's so frighteningly up to date with my current mood... Sadly I have no Master with me to chase away the dark clouds... But you're not here to hear me rambling. ;P
Have fun with the chapter and stay safe!

"You've been here already," the Master stated matter-of-factly

Roka gulped and slowly nodded.

"Why didn't you tell when we arrived?"

"I... didn't remember," she uttered and turned her head away. "That piece of crystal River just handed me... it... uh... you could say, triggered some memory snippets. And... doesn't matter. Let me activate this. It might keep them save."

"Might..." He chuckled and released her shoulder. "You have no idea if this will do anything, right?"

"Kind of... no." She returned to the machine and flicked some more switches. "I did activate this thing a few times. But I don't know why anymore. It was... a test, I think. No... no... I... I deactivated it." Her hands stilled and fell to her sides eventually.

"Doesn't bother me what becomes of those creatures down there, really," the Master remarked dryly and folded his arms over his chest, the look on his face serious. "But with the bots in your head it's peculiar that you don't remember this place... at all. Means, your own mind is blocking the memory. And that's never a good thing."

"No shit," she grumbled irritated and puzzled over the exact function of the machine in front of her. "I think, I chose to forget. I... it's faint, but... doesn't matter. It's not the case anymore."

"What isn't?" he demanded, but got no answer.

When she hit another set of buttons something finally got activated. The machine let out a low pitched noise, then stilled before a deep rumbling wave went through the ground like the roar of an ancient beast, shook the building violently and let dust and debris rain down on their heads. Red particles started to appear, dancing forebodingly in the air and from right outside they could hear the sounds of machines coming to life, metal legs clinking and rushing over more metal and concrete and snow. One glowing eye peeked inside the room they were in, the legs holding the robot steady within the crack so it hovered there like an ugly spider. It retreated with disgustingly rapid movements, followed by what sounded like thousands of its kind.

There was a shift in the air, a tearing in Roka's mind and body. She gasped and held onto the control table, her breath slowly stabilizing. There was no pain... yet, so she turned around and hurried to get the machine working.

"We can't leave," the Master stated from behind, sounding worried and also surprised. "The crystal is active again. And that thing is a mix of atron energy and kefral matter, probably with a few other things as well... couldn't get any better readings. No idea where that glowing is coming from..."