II - Scribbles and scratches

While the Time Lords were busy with the technical side of events, Roka had found a new fascination of sorts. For the past two days she had noticed them here and there, always uncertain if it was imagination or not. Sometimes there, sometimes gone, sometimes seemingly moving, so subtle that it was hard to distinguish from illusion.

Shadows.

Shadows in places where nothing was around to cast them. Without a specific form or pattern, unmoving, undisturbed when she touched them.

She wasn't even sure whether or not to tell anyone. It could be a trick of the lights in this house, it could be her bored mind making stuff up. Or, as Roka excitedly decided... it had to be ghosts!

Even after wandering the universe for one and a half centuries she had never found evidence for or against them, no matter how hard she had tried to find some. It was a fascinating topic to her, always had been. Scary and chilling, but exciting nonetheless.

Now she started to observe, to write everything down she saw, maybe to find a pattern behind it, or an explanation. Once she threw a paper pellet against one, another time she pressed her back against it, placed her hand over the dark spots. Later on they would have vanished, would appear in new places.

"What are you staring at?"

Cassy's voice made Roka jump and glare startled at the other woman. "Eh... wha'? I... uh..." She quickly glanced back at the corner, her eyes widening and a grin spreading on her face. "It's gone!" Roka squealed. "Ha! I knew it!"

"What's gone?" the sneering voice of the Master appeared as he entered the doorframe, probably to catch some snack. He blinked perplex at Roka, then smiled. "What got you so excited, little crow? Haven't seen you that happy in centuries. Literally."

Her face dropped a little to make place for confusion. He was right. She hadn't been like that since they had travelled together, so many years in the past. How long ago that was. For a second the memories threatened to crush her, streaming in uncontrolled until she suddenly felt enveloped in warm arms.

"Hey, I didn't want to make it sound bad," the Master whispered in her ear. "It makes me happy to see you so excited."

Roka let out a breath and snuggled into his shirt, the grin from before slowly returning, but for other reasons. "You can be such a softie." Her giggle was muffled by cloth.

The Master shoved her away instantly, poking her side to make her jump. "Careful," he growled, although his eyes glinted amused.

Grinning Roka bent out of the way. "Seems like the Doctor is rubbing off on you."

She tried to jump away before the Master could reach her, but he was too fast and trapped her between the sofa's backrest and himself. "Don't stress my benevolence, little crow."

There was an edge in his voice, a small hint of danger, but not enough to be really threatening. Roka poked out her tongue and in return the Master poked her sides again, making her jump and squeal sharply.

"You're ticklish?" he remarked surprised and did it again with the same result.

Roka tried to get free. "Took you long to notice."

There suddenly was a truly devilish grin on his lips and he left her no chance of escape. Roka tried to fight back between laughs and bending and trying to get some air into her lungs. Somehow she ended up on the sofa, laughing and gasping, the Master above her, still on his feet.

"St... stop it," she brought out laughing. "You're killing me."

"Mhm." The Master gave her a mock pout and retreated his fingers from her. "That would be a shame."