𝐍𝐎𝐓 𝐀 𝐂𝐀𝐓𝐅𝐈𝐒𝐇

CRENSHAW, CALIFORNIA

CRENSHAW PLAYGROUND

7:30 PM

"And I'm playing with a bunch of guys who don't want me. For a coach who said he'd have my back and he moved me off the defense. And I'm supposed to play along, help them win their season?" Spencer paces back and forth.

"Then don't," Coop inputted.

"What, throw the season?" Spencer asked.

"She means you have a raw talent that most players wished they had, make it your season," I jumped in the conversation.

"You'll find a way. I know you will," Coop said. "You let some lil white coach-"

"He's black," He corrected her.

"Black?" She lifted her eyebrows."I don't know then. Maybe he's right." She shrugged her shoulders causing us to laugh.

"Man, shut up."

"Listen, man, for real. Black, white, plaid, it doesn't matter. You just got to do you. You got the goods on and off the field. I knew it from the moment I met you right here in this park," Coop pointed out.

"Man, I don't know. That place just isn't who I am. It ain't me," Spencer says.

"What? And this is? You decide who you want to be. You tripping, man," Coop scoffed.

"You have a lifetime opportunity right at your door. At some point people are going to stop knocking and go to the next big thing," I looked at him. "And I didn't work my ass off and sit through each game for my lifetime experiment to go to waste."

"Oh so I'm a little experiment to you," Spencer smirked, walking closer to me.

"Yup, but you're a lab rat that I love too much to let you not take this," I smiled up at him.

"Okay eww you guys are getting gross," Coop playfully gagged then switched the subject. "Really now. What's up, man? Tell me about these Beverly Hills girls," Coop laughed.

"Yea tell us," I looked closer at him, putting my hand on my hip. He better choose his next words carefully.

"Man. They're skinny."

"Skinny?" Coop and I questioned.

"Skinny."

"What? I can't..." Coop turned the other way

"But how skinny are we talking Destiny's child Kelly or Beyonce?" I asked.

"More like Michelle."

"Aw man," We laughed.

"Can I help you, Mr. Beverly Hills?" A voice walked up to us. Looking at Shawn and his boys. I am not ready for part two especially at night.

"Stay here," He tells us, then walked up to his former friend and his crew. "Hey, yo, leave her alone, Shawn."

"Or what?"

"Or I remind you of that beatdown I gave you in the sixth grade," Spencer threatened.

"Try it again and see what happens," Shawn spat.

"You know what, maybe I will," They walked up to each other. Hitting Coop's shoulder we stood up ready to be backup just in case. A siren and radio chatter broke them up. Everyone knows how the cops are down here. Corrupted...our blackness is a weapon to them.

"Let's get out of here," I say, pulling Spencer back by his hoodie.

"Watch your back, Beverly," Shawn warns him, then proceeds to walk away with his boys. "Oh...and Mel, Tyrone is looking for you."