𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐁𝐔 𝐖𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐒

MALIBU, CALIFORNIA

JOE'S SURFS SHOP

8AM

"Why are we here so early?" Nikki asked, looking at the shop in front of her.

"During my session with Dr. Throne she made me realize that I have to find myself again. I made decisions throughout my life on what other people wanted," Mel tells Nikki. "For once I want to do something for myself."

"So a surfs shop," Nikki looks at the girl.

"It's not just any surfs shop. Joe's Surfers shop is a place my mom and I would come to, to get boards or the last surfing news. We would spend hours in the shop smiling and laughing," She starts to walk in.

The doorbell went off as the ladies entered the shop.

"How may I help you," A familiar voice enters the front of the shop.

"I was thinking maybe a welcome back package," Mel smiles. Knowing that voice, the man turned around and looked at the young girl in front of her.

 Knowing that voice, the man turned around and looked at the young girl in front of her

"Melanie?" He stared with big eyes at the figure in front of him.

"Papa Joe," she smiled, then ran to hug the older man.

"It's been long," He hugged the girl tighter, afraid she would disappear. "What are you doing here?"

"I need to be reminded of my roots," The girl smiled. "What better way than to do it here?" She shrugged. The older man smiled, then looked at the woman who accompanied the young girl.

"Oh I'm Nikki, Mel's adopted mom," She went for a hand shake.

"Joe," He smiled, then proceeded to checkout the lady.

"Hey..stop that," Mel hit his arm.

"Right." He takes one last look at Nikki, who happens to be blushing. "What can I do for you?"

"Yea why are we here, Mel?" Nikki asked.

"I want to get back in the water," Mel looked outside at the waves that were crashing onto the shore.

"You've been gone for a while. Are you sure about this?" Joe looked at Mel.

"The water...surfing...the rush," Mel kept looking at the water. "It's the only way to go back to the old me. The one who knew what she wanted, not what other people wanted for her."

"Inspiring," Joe nodded his head. "You're in luck...I got the perfect board for you," Joe smiled, then went to the back.

"You used to surf?" Nikki looked at her daughter. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"It was one of those things I locked away to please people," She shrugged her shoulders.

"Is there anything I should know?"