9.Intentions

"Would you be here with me forever? Waking up alone ain't better"

Vera's POV

She thinks to herself "no one's at home. I can finish this"
She goes to the kitchen drawer and picks up the new untouched knife. She looks at her reflection on the knife
"I'm sorry" she whispers to herself
Closing her tear filled eyes, she places the knife on her stomach.

"I'm better off dead." 

*why you wanna try me!! *

I wake up sweating profusely. My pillow was soaked with feared sweat. My phone's loud ring tone woke me up.
And my dream... I was about to commit suicide?

Why am I surprised? Maybe this is a sign.. I'm not needed in this world anymore.

I roll to where my phone is. It was a call from Tobi. Florence gave me his number yesterday. I never even asked for it and she sent it to me. I'm not ready to talk to anyone right now.

But he calls again. Really?! What do you want?
I pick up the phone rolling my eyes. He can't see me doing it, but I want him to feel me doing it.

"Hello?" I say

I hear a sigh from the other end..
A relived sigh though. Don't tell me he was worried about me.
I don't care actually.

"Thank Go you're okay! Are you though?" he asks

Geez... Is that your reason for calling me?!

"What do you really want" I say in hesitation

He heaves out another sigh.
What's with the sighs?!

"Vera... I like you.. I've always liked you. Seeing you bursting out today made me realise how much I shouldn't miss this chance to tell you how I feel... I always felt bad when Ayo and the others treated you the way they did. I couldn't stop them because I was scared of what they would say"

I pause for few minutes.
He's definitely playing with me.
Can't be that stupid again.

Feeling bad about what he said.. I finally open my mouth.

"Oh.. Uhm is that why you called?"

"Yeah" he says

Wow.

Again, I don't say anything.
I'm speechless.

"Are you still there?" he asks

"Why were you scared to tell me then? Were you scared they were going to beat you or something?"

"Nothing like that actually, I just felt like you wouldn't trust anyone." he says
Really?
What will make me trust this one?

" I'm currently at the point on my life where I can't trust anyone right now.. You had your chance a long time ago." I say almost in a harsh tone.

" Oh, I'm so sorry" he says

STOP.
SAYING.
SORRY.
TO.
ME.

"Okay you need to stop that."

"Stop what?"

"Saying sorry! I don't need it. I'm okay without it!" I say

Feeling annoyed, I hang up the phone throwing it somewhere.

I look up feeling hungry.
Coming to think of it.. I haven't seen Mrs Jones all day.  Last time I saw her, she said she was going to be having a dinner party at an old friend's house.

"So no one's at home?" I say to myself

Like In a trance, standing up to go to the kitchen downstairs, I walk sluggishly.. As always.