11.Invisible Things

"it's sad that they're doing the same thing over and over.. But life ain't easy these days, no life ain't easy these days. Changes, you've been thinking about these changes."

Unknown person's POV

*a few hours before Vera and Florence arrived from school, Mrs Jones House*

He takes a look at this huge home." Jackpot" he whispers to himself
"Boss, do you think we'll get good cash from this operation?" one of his men asks

He turns to look at him clapping his gloved hands. "We'll surely get more than we expect. I mean look at this place, the owner must be over the top filthy rich. I'll even pay you boys extra" he says smiling devilishly.
The boys look at one another smiling.

"Who's at the door?!" an old lady's voice calls from upstairs.

"Shhhhssshh" The boss says to his men
They stay still, standing like body guards. They wait for the poor old lady to come to her doom.
"I said who's at the door? Vera is that you??" she asks again.
She runs down the stairs to meet danger.

She's about to scream before the leader yells. "Get her!" he says to his boys. The men do as commanded. They run to her with a brown sack and ropes.

One of them grabs her violently by the arm, another takes her from the legs.
She screams for help, but unfortunately the last man seals her mouth with a duct tape. He quickly ties both her legs and her arms.

She struggles violently for the hope to be free. But it was no use. There was no way she could escape her fate.

The boss finishes the job by putting her into the sack forcefully. "Carry her to the car now!" he says to one of his boys. "Yes boss" he says and carries the sack over his shoulder, the remaining two followed behind.

The Boss looked around and saw a piece of paper lying on the couch. He picks it up and brings out a black inked pen out of his breast pocket.

When he finished, he wondered about again to know the exact place where to place the well folded paper.

He spots a table where the victim's car keys were placed. He dropped it there.
"Who ever the hell you are, Vera or whatever they call you, I don't know how you're going to get my money, but I must get it. I will get it" he says to himself.

He turns to the door. He takes the key to the house and locks it after he comes out.
He places his hands in his pockets walking to his car majestically.

"Boss, are we set?" the one who carried the sack asks.
"Not until the money is ready, then we will be set" he says. He enters the car. "Let's go" he commands to one of the boys. Immediately the car starts and drives off.

***

Vera's POV

What should I do now? I have no money, I have nobody, there's no way I could get even a thousand naira for these people. I think to myself as I walk around helpless.

"I can talk to my mum and dad to give you at least half of this.." Florence says from behind.

She's generous and all but... How will I get the remaining??
How am I even sure they'll give me back Mrs Jones.

They might have even thrown her into the river.
I lay on the floor like a beggar.

" There's no point. How are we sure they haven't killed her yet? What if when I give them the money, they'll demand for more? Life has no point, it never did" I say

"Just try." she says coming down to the ground with me.

"I've tried so many times to think I can get through my problems without sweat.. And it's hard for me.

I can't loose someone I just started to love. I lost my mother, I can't loose this woman now. I can't Flo" I say with a choked voice
Tears are clouding up in my eyes.

"I'm so sorry. Do you any other person apart from Mrs Jones?" she asks

"My family hates me. I know that. They're all boys, and the rest of the females are worthless at the moment. I'm not even in touch with any of Mrs Jones' children.

They all abandoned her after they found one thing or the other to do." I pause for a second and looked at my weak hands
" I wish I killed myself that day" I mumble

But unfortunately, Florence heard me..

"What are you talking about? You wanted to kill yourself? I didn't know how much life messed you up.. Goshhh.. Don't ever think of doing that again. We'll figure out this together.. No matter what Vera." she says giving me a side hug.

That's not what I need at the moment. I don't need anybody.
" You don't get it Flo! How will I get the remaining?? That's what I'm trying to figure out." I say getting up from the floor.

She follows my lead.
" I can ask my dad if he can try to help.. You know he's working at the bank" she says
How's that going to help? He doesn't work with those  making the cash!

"what are we meant to do with this number??" I ask with both hands in the air.

" probably when you get the money, you can call them to ask then they'll tell you where to give them. But you need to be careful" she says.

That's if I get the cash or they might stab me in the back and kill me too.

"Let's get going Vera" Florence says as she carries her bag. I do the same too. She walks fast to the main door. Me being behind, I walk hopelessly.

There's no way I can get half of the money in less than a week.

God, if you really care for me, save me. Please Lord.

Don't forget to vote and comment💛📝✨

Ini loves you 💜 ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨