8

"I thought you were going to ditch us!" Adam said placing his arms on my waist.

"I was planning to but what the hell. You turn 23 only once." I said cheekily. Adam smiled, his shoulders relaxing. He knew something was wrong but didn't question me.

"2 shots please." I said to Tom, the bartender.

"Make that 3." Luke came into picture looking all handsome.

"Hey you." I gave him a smile which he gladly returned.

"Hey beautiful. Didn't see you there." He winked, making me giggle.

"Hey there big guy. Stop hitting on her that too in front of me!" Adam said faking offence.

I rolled my eyes while Luke gave Adam a sour look for ruining our flirting.

"Here you go." Tom said sliding a glass towards each of us.

I quickly gulped that burning liquid. The first one burned my throat making me more alive than I have been all day.

His face flashed in front of my eyes.

"Yeah! Keep them coming Tom!" I shouted banging the glass down, making sure i didn't break it.

"Nandini slow down!" Luke said in concern.

"Let her luke. She needs to live a little. Turning into a walking machine now are we?" Adam said rubbing my shoulders.

I am pretty sure he heard me cry in the bathroom after we returned.

"You mister should marry me!" I said jabbing a finger in adam's chest, he just chuckled.

"Luke do we look good together?" My questioning eyes landed on Luke who frowned.

"Isn't he like a brother to you?" He said unsure making Adam laugh and me frown.

"Tch. Too bad." I said taking another shot.

"Too bad." Adam flicked my nose when I scrunched it.

I stumbled on the dance floor with a smug smile. My head felt heavy and the room couldn’t stop spinning. I heard a faint voice of Adam saying something along the lines of, ‘be careful and I am watching you.’

God he was such an angel.

“thanks Adam. *hiccup*”

The numbness seemed to fade and the music blasting began to empower my sense. I moved according to the beat. Giggling and laughing as I swayed on the dance floor.

“BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!” throwing my hands above my head.

“What are you doing?” I heard a whisper and soon after felt a body against me. I turned around to find THE STRANGER as I like to call him, standing there in all his glory.

“Hey! I’m off duty right now! If you want a drink contact Adam. You may even get one free. It's my birthday.” I said throwing my hands on his shoulder. He glared at me and I pouted but never the less removed my hands from his body.

“You are no fun!” I said jabbing my finger on his chest. “Come on dance with me! It’s my birthday.” The betrayal was fresh but that didn't mean I would give him the reaction he wants.

“You shouldn’t be here alone.” I giggled but he didn’t budge.

“I am not alone, stupid.” I looked around to find adam or luke but couldn't.

"I have company and you are not a part of it!" I said and turned around. His eyes flashed sadness but I ignored.

Alcohol makes everything easier.

The song changed to one of my favourites and I jumped. “That’s my jam."

The alcohol started talking. I wasn't going to remember this so what the heck!

"Stranger dance with me.” I held his hands and laced our fingers together. I jumped and swayed and did all the steps I could think of in that moment but he just stood there like a wall, rigid.

“You have no moves.” I said in dissatisfaction. He raised his eyebrows in amusement which I noticed was a frequent habit.

“Why are you doing this, Nandini.” he said making me look at him.

I took a step closer and held his fierce gaze, "I don't know what you are talking about!"

“I am not scared of you!” his eyes widen and he seemed surprised by my confession. “You listen to me, and listen clearly Mr—” I fumbled.

What was his name?

“Aye, you never told me your name, stranger.”

“Now what is the fun in that!” he smirked and I turned furious.

He was back to his twisted ways. God, I am so stupid.

"Jerk." I frowned.

“Whatever you say.” The smirk that never left his handsome face was now getting on my nerves. “I hate you.”
His eyes turned dark and I felt nervousness kick in.

I speak way more than I should.

He roughly grabbed my hand and started moving along the beats. He literally controlled my moments.
He left my hand before spinning me. My legs moved on its own accord along with his. His hands travelled from my waist to my shoulder before jerking me away. All the while one hand remained intact with his.

I was pulled forward and slammed against his chest. He bends his neck to have a better look of me while I keep taking in his features. My hands locked behind his neck and lightly ruffled the hair while moving slowly.

He was handsome, sure. But his eyes his lips his face I had never observed it from such closeness. He was indeed beautiful.

“Take a picture, it will last long.” His face, smug.

“Maybe I will.” I whispered the next second and moved closer.

Something flashed in his eyes and he moved closer, his grip tightening.

Two can play a game too.

"I don't hate you." I whispered before stepping back. The events of the past came crashing and my eyes turned cold.

"..but this doesn't mean I will let you hurt me again." I said not leaving his stare.

I was drunk, not stupid.