17

I pushed the door open stepping into the quietness. The room was too silent for my liking. I looked at luke in confusion, "Something is wrong in here." I said.

"Nandini!" Luke hissed, shushing me. He pointed to the sleeping figure.

Adam was sleeping.

"Where were you for so long? Is riya okay?" He asked adjusting himself to make room for me on his bed, "Come here." He patted the empty space next to him.

"Yeah. She will be fine." I nodded meekly slipping besides him. He wrapped his uninjured arm around me as a snuggled closer.

"You know, only family is allowed to stay once the visiting hours are over." I said not meeting his eye.

He tightened his arm around me, almost squeezing me, I repulsed laughing,"I'm serious!"

I hate that I was letting Alya get to me. I know I shouldn't.

"So? You are my family Nandini, that person however," he pointed at adam who's legs were propped above the arm rest of the couch while his arms touched the ground. He could fall any second. "Can be kicked out for all I care."

"Hey! That's rude." I hit him making him groan in displeasure.

"You always take his side."

"Mmmh. I love him more." I smiled coyly.

"No you don't!" 

"Shhhhh. The devil will wake up. I don't have the strength to put up with him. The man doesn't know when to stop talking." I said holding my head in my hands.

"That's true." He clicked his tongue, nodding in agreement, "If you are done distracting me, I would like to know the truth."

"Woh-" he gave me a poker face. He knew when I was lying. He shook his head and I huffed in irritation.

"Fine! I met Alya today and then.." I unfolded my side of story to Luke. I won't say it didn't feel better talking to someone.

What would I do without these two?

"God, I swear I am gonna punch him the next time I see him." I looked over at his arm in the cast silently making a point.

"Or maybe not." He didn't look at me but his tactics did made me smile.

"Sure."

"But on a serious note. I don't think he took alya's side." I snapped my neck so hard to his side, I was surprised I didn't sprain it.

"Will you stop siding with him!" I punched his arm while he just shamelessly laughed.

"Will you listen to me? Maybe he just got triggered when you mentioned Riya!" He raised his hand caging mine in between his cast and his hand to stop my torture.

"That's no excuse for treating me like that in front of his ex! I know riya is important but he needs to understand alya and riya are not his responsibility anymore."

"5 years is a long time."

"I know. I am trying to understand him. He is fighting with himself. He has this, this- constant need to be responsible for everything. He just needs to let go. "

"Maybe you should tell him that."

"I don't think I can do this anymore."

"Maybe you just need to relax, sort your thoughts before making a decision." He took a deep breath before continuing "We have to fight for what we want, Nandini. Love is never easy."