9

"Nandini, are you okay?" I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around and smiled at Luke.

His eyes landed on my heartbreaker before staring back at me. "Who is he? Is he bothering you?" He spoke taking my hand.

I managed a smile and said, "No one. Let's go and dance." Luke didn't buy my answer but followed me nonetheless.

Adam joined us as we began dancing. He gave me a knowing look indicating he had seen the little encounter but kept quite. He somehow knew the reason for my behaviour was the man who had kissed me.

The music blasted and we are swayed, showing our weirdest moves.

Adam wiggled his arms and legs claiming it was dancing. Luke closed his eyes in embarrassment at his brother while I laughed and danced trying to put everything behind me.

After a while.

"Happy birthday to my favourite girl!" Adam and Luke shouted as we gulped vodka shots.

I squeezed my eyes shut feeling the bitter liquid slid down my throat.

"God, this is strong!" Luke said as if reading my mind.

I stuck my tongue out and laughed when I saw adam doing the same.

"We can't handle drinks! God you are turning me old!" I nudged adam, while luke laughed.

"You my love, talk about yourself and this oldie," pointing at luke "cause this," he pointed at himself "is only getting younger."

"God I can't belive he is 25." Luke said to me rolling his eyes.

"So are you mister." I said jabbing my finger in his chest. He held my hand holding it near his chest.

Something shifted in the atmosphere.

"Nandini," I looked up to meet his eyes.

"Luke," I whispered as he moved closer.

"Guys, meet my friend Tina and this is her friend Simran." Adam interrupted and I jerked away from luke.

He straightened up and smiled at adam. I turned towards adam to find him with 2 girls. He winked at Luke suggestively and I shook my head.

"I think I am gonna go home." I said rubbing my eyes, tired.

"Nandini, I-" luke held my hand stopping me in my tracks while adam pouted.

I smiled, "I'll take a cab. Don't worry. You guys have fun." I hugged them both before leaving and whispered to adam,"tina is cute."

As soon as I stepped outside cold breeze hit me. I rubbed my hands and started walking.

"Nandini!" I heard Luke and turned around to see him jogging towards me.

He played with his fingers looking here and there. I waited patiently my head buzzing due to alcohol.

"How do I say this..."

"Luke it's me. You can talk about anything." I said smiling.

"Umm...had Adam not interrupted, u-ss. Would you have k-kissed me?" He looked at me, hopefully.

"Luke you are my best friend- I"

"It's okay. We were both drunk and I don't know what am I talking about." He looked down sad and I decided to stay quite for a while.

"You should know I love you." I smiled and hugged him. Trying to console him as well as me.

"But not like I do..." his whisper was soft and I barely heard him.

"Oh Luke." We stayed and I closed my eyes trying to stop my tears. This was too overwhelming.

I didn't know what to do.

"Is it because of him?" He said breaking the hug but not leaving my arms. I held on appreciating the warmth.

"Who?" I scrunched up my eyebrows in confusion.

"The one with you on the dance floor before I came. You know him, right." It wasn't a question. It was a statement. He aready knew.

I stayed quiet no words willingly to leave my mouth.

"It's not-t like that," I said looking here and there. "He is not interested." I mumbled.

"But you are." He smiled.

I suddenly realized how bad luke felt.
When the feeling is not reciprocated the way you want, it hurts.

It hurts like a bitch.

"Nandini." He said before pulling me in another hug.

Why did I not fall for luke? It would have been so much more easier. I held him tight, trying not to cry.

"We will always remain friends right?" I meekly whispered wishing he didn't feel any less of me.

"Ofcourse baba," he kissed my forehead before leaving.

"See you in the morning," he winked and i shook my head a small smile on my lips.

The atmosphere felt light as if nothing happened.

"You are a dork!" I said and laughed wiping the little something called tears from my eyes. He was so strong and look at me, all miserable for some man, whose name was still unknown to me.

I turned to walk my home when I crashed into someone. I looked up to see the eyes I had fallen for. The eyes I wished would stop looking at my soul.

I jerked the feeling in my heart and continued walking, ignoring him.

"Is he your boyfriend?" He said falling in step with me.

The nerve of this man!