16

"How in the hell did you manage to do this to yourself?" My hands on my hips I glared at the person in front of me in the hospital bed.

"Stop scolding me Nandini. It was an accident. I slipped and fell. Simple."

"You broke your arm, luke!" I shook my head in disbelief.

"Adam, say something." I nudged him bringing him back from his la la land.

"I am just thinking the evil things I'll right on his cast." I palmed my forehead at his response.

"I just can't- with you both. I need a coffee." I massaged my temples feeling distressed.

"I want one too!" Luke pouted batting his eyelashes at me.

"No." I said and left the room in search of coffee.

***

The strong smell of caffeine did helped me relax. I blowed on the edge of the cup before sipping, trying not to burn my tongue.

"Mmmh." I moaned as the bitter sweet flavor hit my tongue.

Just what I needed.

"We have to operate her today or we might lose her." I heard a doctor say to a young lady before rushing to the emergency ward. As soon as she registered what the doctor had said she burst out crying. I felt bad for her.

Hospitals are the worst.

"I'm here-e!" A guy came running towards the girl and stopped right in front of her, "What did the doctor say, why are you crying, dammit!" I couldn't see his face but his voice was very familiar.

Almost like Mani-

"Manik-k, they-y said we might lose her-r." The girl crashed in his arms taking him by surprise making him stumble a few steps back, "I can't lose her Manik. She is my only family-y." She sobbed in Manik's arms while he stood frozen.

He finally wrapped his arms around her and I felt my gut twist. Like someone had jabbed a knife in my heart. It was painful seeing someone in his arms. And if I could connect the dots properly, she was the infamous ex.

"Main Riya ko kuch nahi hone dunga."

I looked away not able to see anymore.

Wasn't she the same person who left Manik for his best friend?

I felt like a stranger trying to pry in someone else's personal matter. This was wrong. I quickly got on my feet and decided to take the long way to luke's room, to avoid banging into people I knew as well as the people I didn't knew.

"Nandini? Is that you." My plans were washed away as soon as I heard Manik call my name.

I stopped and turned around to see him walking towards me while Alya stood on the same spot looking straight towards me in confusion.

I felt uncomfortable under her gaze and decided to focus on Manik.

"Hey," He stood in front of me blocking Alya from my line of vision, "what are you doing here?"

He held my hand caressing my knuckles, giving me a sad smile.

Suddenly all the other emotions flew out the window leaving me with sadness and guilt.

I shouldn't have judged him. He's my friend and he needs me.

"Luke broke his arm." I tried to give him an encouraging smile but his eyes were stony, devoid of any emotions.

His polite smile didn't fool me.

"Oh. Is he going to be fine?" He asked with a straight face.