Chapter 1

"I'm sorry, he's no more"

Flatline. Asystole. Lifeless. Dead. Whatever your preferred way of saying it doesn't change the facts, that there was no more brain activity. Her eyes glanced up as she saw the straight green line on the monitor, emitting a continuous high pitched tone. Then silence, as the nurse switched off the monitor and pulled the plug on the only ventilator attached to his body.

Nurse: Anika....

The woman's gaze shifted from the shut down monitor to the senior and familiar nurse staff beside her.

Nurse:  please formalities poori karo
(Please complete the formalities)

Anika: ji, mein aati
(Yes, I'll come)

They both began to walk along the corridor and down the staircase.

Nurse: mujhe pata hai it's hard, lekin apne aap ko sambhalna padega
(I know it's hard, but you have to handle yourself)

Anika: mein manage kar lungi Pammi Ji
(I will manage, Pammi Ji)

Anika walked with the nurse, whom she had got to know well enough due to prior hospital visits. Soon they approached the main desk and Anika's trembling hands managed to sign the remaining documents.
Randomly, three upset men who appeared to be troubled caught her eyes as they roamed here and there. She could identify that they were angry on the doctor leaving the operation theatre, as their shouts were evident of that.

Anika: Pammi ji, voh log vaha, kyu aaye?
(Pammi Ji, those people there, why have they come?)

The nurse patted the shoulder of an intern surgeon, who was submerged in her paperwork

Pammi: Sheila, voh log kyu aaye?
(Sheila, why are they here?)

Sheila: ma'am, voh log Oberoi's hai. Tej Singh Oberoi ka heart attack hua aur usko transplant ki zarurat hai
(Ma'am, they are the Oberoi's. Tej Singh Oberoi has had a heart attack and is in need of a heart transplant)

Pammi: reports dikhaye
(Show the reports)

The nurse took the file from the young doctor and began to flick through the few pages in it.

Anika: Pammi ji, kuch hair kya...
(Pammi Ji, is there something...)

Pammi: ek minat Anika
(One minute Anika)

The nurse shushed her for a second as her attention traveled back to the papers.

Pammi: iska aur tere Papa ka match hai
(His reports and your father's match)

Anika: aapka matlab ki mein uss Uncle ka jaan bacha sakti, balki mere Papa bacha sakta?
(So you mean I can save his life, well, my father can?)

Pammi: ji
(Yes)

Anika: pehle mein family se baat kar sakti, please?
(First can I speak to the family, please?)

Pammi: ji of course, mein jaake organs ko preserve karne ki koshish karungi, shayad zarurat pade. Sheila tu uss parivaar se baat karo please, I'll try and salvage the heart.
(Yes, of course. I will go and try to preserve the organs, might they be needed. Sheila, you go and talk tot he family please, I'll try and salvage the heart)

The intern surgeon simply nodded at the command as the other nurse went. She approached the family and caught the attention of one man

Sheila: Mr Omkara?

Omkara: Ji?
(Yes?)

Sheila: aapke Father ko heart transplant ki zarurat hai, right?
(Your father is in need of a transplant, am I right?)